Volksawgon GTi doorpod rebuild IDQ8D4 IB

string would absorb the resin and conform better with the glass, the chop stick was too rigid and was not very porous. thats all.

it would be the same as using more fiberglass. im not going to try and explain further, if you dont get it, dont worry about it.

Quick questions:

how are you securing the pods to the door panels?

*unrelated* - how's the infinite baffle sound?? Can you compare it to ported/sealed?

I'll be following along. Your door panels are similar to mine and i'm looking to build pods around the same size.

Nice clean setup btw

thanks, here we go-

the aluminum bar that i attached across the factory speaker hole is going to be the back of the pod. you can go deeper than this, but i did not need anything more because it will end up being IB in the door, so its not needed. im just going to drill 3 holes in the back of the mould where the screw clip holes are in the aluminum there seen in the pictures below;

006we.jpg

015uw.jpg

then im just going to put a gasket between the fiberglass and the bolt\washer and tighten it down with a bolt of some kind. the 'nut' im using is a captive nut that clips onto the aluminum and has threads in it. you can get them at lowes for cheap, usually you get tiny little flimsy ones with speakers- you know those little metal screw square things, the ones im using are heavy duty steel ones. all i gotta do is take the speaker out and then unscrew the 3 bolts, and the whole pod comes right off! quite convenient.

as far as IB versus sealed\ported goes, its a toss up. you loose output when you go IB so you have to make up for it with cone area. thats why im using two 15's. also you have to remember that the speakers will unload at frequency - meaning there is no enclosure to boost the low end response and you need to be careful how low you let them play. subsonic filters are a must!! as far as the sound, its a very smooth sound - almost like a sealed box - but there is no 'enclosure gain' so its usually not as loud as you would expect unless you used something like a pair of aura NS15's or something, high out put high excursion high fidelity high price tag lol. you just need to make sure you set the crossovers correct and give them the right power thats all.

i like them because they are space savers. just my opinion.

just polished my hood and waxed it all, no more oxidation. good lord that took forever. bout 4 hours. took the hood off the car, took it inside and did it in my living room lol. much easier than leaving it on the car.

ill take some pics. gotta run some errands.

nice jetta man, wish my car looked that clean lol.

i plan on getting this kit to replace the one i got, its urethane instead of fiberglass like the one i have. theres a crack in the bottom middle of the fascia and the edges in front of the front tires are starting to spiderweb, not to mention the mounting points to the fenders are not that great either.

http://www.eurogearusa.com/bodykits/products/99_vw_golf_rs_body_kit.html

for reference - this is what it looked like this morning;

001fn.jpg

and this is what i got done today.

024eru.jpg

027ds.jpg

025ab.jpg

026h.jpg

basically all i did was get some turtle polishing compound and a 3500rpm random orbital buffer. then i buffed it about 3 times or so. then i got some meguiars carnauba cleaner wax and buffed it 3 more times. then i got meguiars black gold wax and put a nice healthy wax on it. looks 100x better than it did before. its still faded a bit in the middle of the hood, and i have a few anomalies in the composite, but im satisfied with the result. what do you think?

I used to rock a CF hood also.. I have one now I am trying to sell but its oxidized. I am going to do what you did to see if i can move the CF hood. I have a metal boser extension for mine as soon as I get it into the body shop. Your car is hot and will be really sweet with the new body kit. check out http://www.vwvortex.com if you have not before..

im currently in key west right now, i have my new mdf baffles back in va waiting on me. so the weekend following my return (or there abouts) will be when i wrap up this project.

until then, here is a pic i took this morning of bike week in key west (i saw some amazing things last night lol. just for reference this street goes on forever, much larger area than i originally thought. i got completely hammered last night and somehow made it back home at around 0400. i gotta work tomorrow around noon, so i plan on recuperating today and headed out in the morning to snag some groceries and some breakfast. this place is total insanity on the weekends!

keywest.jpg

here is a google maps of the place

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=24.553701,-81.802912&spn=0.015731,0.033023&z=16&msid=116655757772857302438.000473f8bf618704c391b

the blue line is the place where all the action\people are, the red line is the walk i have to get there. the martini placemark is about where i took that picture if memory serves correct. the blue line (from the north end at fort st, all the way to southland street) is lined with motorcycles just like the picture above. not too shabby.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

req

5,000+ posts
am a mod.
req
Syracuse, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date