Very simple amp-related question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Djahnea

I bought a used car that came with an installed Alpine CDE-102 stereo. Everything appears to work correctly, but there's no sound. Looking into the trunk, I see speaker wiring coming from the cabin, along with power and input cables for an amp (I assume), but no amp.

I have NO clue what I'm to do, as sound systems are not something I've meddled with in the past. Must I purchase an amp? If so, what do I need? Subwoofers? I really don't want those. All I want is for the speakers inside the car to transmit what comes from the stereo. If the quality isn't up to scratch, I'll upgrade later.

The easiest way to see what your set-up requires is to get to the rear of your head-unit. It will tell you whether it was set-up for the factory wiring; or an aftermarket amplifier. If it is set-up for the amplifier, purchasing an amplifier should solve you problem. knowing the RMS power of our speakers is a must, before you purchase the amplifier. Do you know if you still have the factory speakers or were they replaced? You only need a sub-woofer if the wiring in the trunk was intended for a sub-woofer. The absence of sound from your speakers, would indicate that the amplifier was intended for your speakers.

If you happen to have an amplifier available, wire it to the existing wires in your trunk. This will give you an instant answer to your question.

My response is strictly conjecture, since I don't have access to your car.

Since you prefaced your question, with the fact that you have no experience with wiring car stereos, I suggest that you enlist the help of someone who has. A friend or local stereo shop. Try talking to the tech at your local Best Buy, for suggestions on how to proceed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.