Various Subs

DeathsShadow
10+ year member

I was just wondering if it mattered if u used different sized subs in the 1 installation???

i have been told that itz not a good idea, if itz not can you please tell me why???

to be more specific if needed, im thinking about installing 4 12's sealed in 2 boxes (2 in each, 1 box on either side of the boot) an 2 15's in a single sealed box (behind the backseat). the subs are most likely to be Alpine Type R's.

thanx

1 more thing i was wondering. If i mixed different subs (e.g. a pair of Type R's in a box and a pair of Perfect 12.1's in a seperate box) together in the boot, is that a good or bad idea?

All subs (brands/styles/sizes) are different. Certain subs play certain frequencies louder than the the others, some play lower frequencies, some hit hard at slightly higher frequencies, you get different timing of the bass notes due to size and box volume of the subs. The end result can vary depending on the combination of the subs and their specs. It may sound acceptable or it could sound like a big muttred mess of bass notes. I wouldn't try it. It would probobly just be a waste of effort unless you had different subs where ALL the specs matched up.

thanx

i understand what your saying, sort of...

i am still more or less want to know why there are 3-way systems for the midbass/range to tweeter, but why not for the lower frequencies?

why do you need all those subs in the first place the only reason I would use all those is if I already had owned them and is there a reason why you are going with the alpine in a boat? as far as the different sizes if you have a good crossover network you can maximize the best of all your subs I knew a guy that had every size except 12s cramed in a old rx7 each set of subs did a different job i.e. the 15 played everything below 30hz.

Boat???

i jus used the alpine's as an example, as they are most likely what im going to be getting for my car. the sizes i mentioned are the sizes i am thinking of getting seperately, but i cant decide. And what your friend did is what im thinking of doing. im going for SQ so i thought i would be able to hear the bass freq. better that way. it may take awhile but in the end i want to get my car upto show quality in every aspect.

thanx newayz

if ur gonna go for sq, you will want to stay away from the 15's. and mixing the subs is also not usually suggested, mainly for the reason natem stated. but if it floats your boat, then go for it. but dont go mixing sizes and brands and models in the process, that will be a big mess.

just a quick note.

the dude is from "down under", his "boot" is the trunk of his car!!

boat? redneck!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D :p :p

PEACE

I don't know a lot about car audio, but I do know a lot about professional audio. What I know is that when you add ANY sort of speaker to any system, you run the risk of having phase problems. Since the 15" and the 12" subs would be reacting at different speeds. The 12" is going to be more responsive than the 15". Whether you notice the phasing problem is the real question. 2-3 way speakers are designed to operate in the same phase so you don't hear "hollow" frequencies or "flat" sounds.

Just an idea...

BT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.