Variable inline attenuator with limited range or more linear response?

RobGMN
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
MN
Can anyone recommend an inline attenuator with a very linear and maybe "limited" response?
My "system" is just a head-unit swap with an amp and sub added. I listen to a wide variety of music, NONE of which has consistent bass, so I put an adjustable attenuator inline to the amp.
With this, I can dial the bass to where I need it instantly. The hitch is that the couple of units I have tried make big changes for not much movement of the knob. Thus, it's not easy to hit the sweet spot between too loud and too soft.

Any suggestions for one that instead of covering 0-100% with 3/4 dial turn, maybe only attenuate down to 50% instead of zero?
No, I do not want to use the head unit settings to do this. Far too cumbersome to do with each song.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Rob

Depending on your comfort level, you could replace the potentiometer with a different resistance to adjust your range.
I'm comfortable with dissecting, replacing components at board level (even some surface-mount), etc. when I have the parts and know where they belong. Where I fall short is knowing what to use to make my own components/circuits.

If I know what pot I need, I'd have no problem doing a swap.

I'm comfortable with dissecting, replacing components at board level (even some surface-mount), etc. when I have the parts and know where they belong. Where I fall short is knowing what to use to make my own components/circuits.

If I know what pot I need, I'd have no problem doing a swap.
I have never dissected one, so I can't say if the pot simply attenuates the signal or is set up as a voltage divider. Find out which way you need to turn the pot to increase resistance, and get one that works in the same direction. The correct resistance depends on how the circuit is designed.

Can anyone recommend an inline attenuator with a very linear and maybe "limited" response?
My "system" is just a head-unit swap with an amp and sub added. I listen to a wide variety of music, NONE of which has consistent bass, so I put an adjustable attenuator inline to the amp.
With this, I can dial the bass to where I need it instantly. The hitch is that the couple of units I have tried make big changes for not much movement of the knob. Thus, it's not easy to hit the sweet spot between too loud and too soft.

Any suggestions for one that instead of covering 0-100% with 3/4 dial turn, maybe only attenuate down to 50% instead of zero?
No, I do not want to use the head unit settings to do this. Far too cumbersome to do with each song.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Rob
If it were me I would find an audio taper potentiometer and go from there.

If one knows how to tune/eq properly in a car audio enviroment a potentiometer becomes pointless for level control....just sayin
Assuming one listens to the same music recorded by the same engineer for the same group in the same studio on the same equipment.

I’m not one of them. I listen to music that is older than me, but also to music that is brand new.
Do you have a VST that I can use to balance the bass between classic rock that was recorded thin, and current rock that is recorded for the loudness wars?

Assuming one listens to the same music recorded by the same engineer for the same group in the same studio on the same equipment.

I’m not one of them. I listen to music that is older than me, but also to music that is brand new.
Do you have a VST that I can use to balance the bass between classic rock that was recorded thin, and current rock that is recorded for the loudness wars?
As I said... an Audio Taper Potentiometer should do the trick. How are you running the signal from the HU to the amplifier? If you are wanting more "precice control" a linear taper might be what you need. Meaning that if the pot is 500k then if the knob is at 5 out of 10 its resistance would be 250k.

Last edited:
As I said... an Audio Taper Potentiometer should do the trick. How are you running the signal from the HU to the amplifier? If you are wanting more "precice control" a linear taper might be what you need. Meaning that if the pot is 500k then if the knob is at 5 out of 10 its resistance would be 250k.
I already have an in-line attenuator that is audio taper. Linear doesn’t work for volume-style control. It would be far too fast a response.
Signal is run through traditional RCA cable.

I already have an in-line attenuator that is audio taper. Linear doesn’t work for volume-style control. It would be far too fast a response.
Signal is run through traditional RCA cable.
Linear absolutely does work and it works in steps. Or you can get a portable mixer...

Attachments

• HTB1HxG4XQH0gK0jSZFNxh4MqXXav.jpeg
    HTB1HxG4XQH0gK0jSZFNxh4MqXXav.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
It’s 0 to full voltage in about a 315 degree rotation. Tried Scosche, PAC, and a no-name, all made for inline attenuation of an audio signal.
All the same problem.

It’s 0 to full voltage in about a 315 degree rotation. Tried Scosche, PAC, and a no-name, all made for inline attenuation of an audio signal.
All the same problem.
There are push/pull pots as well... Can have one level set up to a given voltage and with a quick pull on the pot have the second level start where the other left off. Splitting the signal to two controls from the same pot. It's the only thing I can think of that normal gain knobs won't do. Thoughts?

A linear pot will vary at a constant rate throughout the sweep. A logarithmic pot will taper at one end. You’ll want a logarithmic pot. When the rate of increase is constant, the low end won’t turn up the volume much, but as you go up it becomes an exponential increase, making very inconsistent volume jumps with each click higher. A logarithmic pot will taper off at one end and won’t exponentially increase volume as you work up, giving a much better control of volume. Logarithmic pots are better than linear for a bass knob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...