Variable inline attenuator with limited range or more linear response?

Assuming one listens to the same music recorded by the same engineer for the same group in the same studio on the same equipment.
Have you tried this one? It is the one I use for old school amps.
Screenshot_20220601-222356(1).png

I will look into it. Frequency control is interesting, but I wonder if the “volume” pot is the same as the other inline controls.
Seems that an audio taper (log) pot is de rigeur for volume control.
Have never had incremental issues with it. I use it with a Pioneer Appradio that has the pico fuse issue. Because of that, I can only use one set of RCAs. I have used it with an PPI 500iqx and a Orion 275g4

I will look into it. Frequency control is interesting, but I wonder if the “volume” pot is the same as the other inline controls.
Seems that an audio taper (log) pot is de rigeur for volume control.
It is basically the same for volume control. Your stereo has one for volume control, the amp gain, your bass knob is a pot. They all would be log/taper pots, but may have some different voltage ratings and resistance. Large container ships even use a pot on the control panel to steer the ship, which would be a linear pot. The reason to use a log pot for all types of audio volume control is because of the way our ears interpret sound pressure levels. If it’s a linear pot our ears will perceive huge jumps in spl as you click the volume up. The resistance has to taper off as you move up with the volume to compensate for the way we hear sound.

For the price of a few cups of coffee, worth a shot.

But now there seems to be a split decision. One recommendation for a linear pot, one for audio taper.
Who’s gonna be a tiebreaker?

Edit: looks like a tiebreaker might not be needed. Seems that Xtenzi makes (or sells) the unit I already have. I can’t imagine they’d use a different pot in one amp controller than another.

Last edited:
Would any of these units work for a speaker level signal? I’m using my stock head unit and am taking the rear speaker outputs to my Pioneer sub amp since the HU has no rca outs.

Reading how bad the bass boost knob is for the longevity of my sub, I would prefer to add an easily accessible gain knob for the same reasons as the OP (I listen to old blues and 80s rock mixed with no bass, and new hip hop, metal, and reggae with tons of bass).

I was thinking of something like this, but it’s not really purpose built for car audio:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017K51WE/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Are you using the amp's high level input? What is the model number?

Its the GM-d9701. It only has one set of RCA inputs. But, the box came with an adapter (basically bare wire on one side and male RCAs on the other side 🤣), and the manual said use that to tap into a speaker level signal if using with a HU that has no RCA out.

The knob does work with the radio's high speaker output. Radio set to about 75%, and I swept the the full range on the knob. Worked exactly like the volume knob. No erratic volume spikes.
That’s awesome, thanks for testing that! It’s the Xtenzi unit you posted in this thred? Wanna make sure I get the right one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...