Using headunit filter vs. amplifier filter

Participant count
  • Participant list

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My old headunit didn't have any low or hi pass filter options and I just upgraded to one that does. I use the 3 rca preouts to power 1 4 channel amp (my speaker amp) and 1 sub amp. Both amps have their own hi and low pass filters which I use, but is there any benefit from using the ones on the head unit instead? And if I was to use the head unit filters, what would I set the filters at on the amps since they can't be turned off?

if you use the h/u filters turn the ones on the amp off. and vice versa .

and did you ever get the wire?? if it didnt that makes the second MIA package....

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

both filters are equal also //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

The problem is that you can't turn off the amps filters. The sub amp just has the basic lpf like 50 -150 hz and my speaker amp has All pass, low pass and high pass options, you can't really turn it off.

And no, no package :'(

i usually turrn the sub filter all the way up if i use the hu filter (which i do)

and ok good to know. both packages were "lost" so ill try to get together some more for you.

That's really weird, don't even worry about it though, i'll probably just buy some sometime down the road when I upgrade my battery or alt or something lol

The xover section in the HU is usually done by a small DSP which provides digital crossover prior to analog conversion. It is usually more accurate, and gives you a more exact number than turning a nob on an amplifier. I recommend using the HU crossovers.

As for the amps, leave the 4 channel on "all-pass" and turn the frequency on the sub amp all the way up. This will allow the xover points from the HU to take over.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.