Using door handle hole for a tweeter spot.

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have factory speakers in my doors in a Silverado. Even though my truck is a 2006 Silverado it doesn't have the fancier door panels. Even though it's an LS it has the WT panels. An aftermarket power windows kit was installed the the old window cranks were removed and covered over with black plastic caps. Now I know I probably can put some tweeters in the spot but the only question is would they fit ok? The crank holes are actually oval and not round. I would like to replace them with an Alpine set of components since the stock ones are blown. I just wonder if I can make the tweeters work in those window crank holes. I attached an image of the holes. View attachment 26544727

41er%2BXY139L.jpg

I have factory speakers in my doors in a Silverado. Even though my truck is a 2006 Silverado it doesn't have the fancier door panels. Even though it's an LS it has the WT panels. An aftermarket power windows kit was installed the the old window cranks were removed and covered over with black plastic caps. Now I know I probably can put some tweeters in the spot but the only question is would they fit ok? The crank holes are actually oval and not round. I would like to replace them with an Alpine set of components since the stock ones are blown. I just wonder if I can make the tweeters work in those window crank holes. I attached an image of the holes. View attachment 26544727
41er%2BXY139L.jpg
i dont see why it wouldnt work..... mean you could just shave the door a tad to the correct shape....

yep, great idea.... prob wont sound the best but maybe angle them and build a little pod for them to sit in, would look much better then the hole you have in the door now.

The hole is probably too wide for most component tweeters but you could always attach them to a piece of PVC that's cut at an angle and that would bring the imaging up a bit as well as provide a large enough diameter to cover the holes.

That said, a 1" tweeter mounted in the flush mount cup they usually come with might well be large enough by the time you consider the flange that's on them...

I do have black caps that will cover those holes but yah a tweeter from a component set would look nicer. It's a shame this truck didn't have the upgraded door panels. Truck came with nice american racing wheels, had the leather bucket seats but no carpet and it had a plastic bed cover. And I paid only $8500 for it in 2008 with 40k miles on it. So yah, I can live without the fancier door panels at that price.

Okay... I went and measured a set of Soundstream TSW 3N flush mount cups I have. They're 1.75" in diameter and the flange is 2", so you should be good with most any 1" tweet from a component set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.