Using Carbon fiber over fiberglass

Participant count
  • Participant list

captaincheesey
10+ year member

Change is Inevitable
So I have been thinking and wondering. Would you see any noticeable increase in strength to box integrity if you used a carbon fiber/fiberglass weave or even a carbon fiber/kevlar weave over fiberglass/glass mat on the inside of a box. Or would it just end up being a giant waste of time. This is not for aesthetics or anything, I am just assuming that you would be able to use less CF to get something comparable to an arbitrary amount of glass mat.

Let me know if I am just out of my **** mind or barking up the wrong tree here. I am aware of prices for a carbon fiber weave, but I think it would be a nice thing to line the inside of a box with if it will make it stronger than regular resin and glass mat would.

You'd probably achieve the same result at twice the price. However, you could use less if it so in the end it will be lighter (if you care). Try it out.

So I have been thinking and wondering. Would you see any noticeable increase in strength to box integrity if you used a carbon fiber/fiberglass weave or even a carbon fiber/kevlar weave over fiberglass/glass mat on the inside of a box. Or would it just end up being a giant waste of time. This is not for aesthetics or anything, I am just assuming that you would be able to use less CF to get something comparable to an arbitrary amount of glass mat.
Let me know if I am just out of my **** mind or barking up the wrong tree here. I am aware of prices for a carbon fiber weave, but I think it would be a nice thing to line the inside of a box with if it will make it stronger than regular resin and glass mat would.
Using carbon fiber for that purpose is along the lines of going out and buying a new Veyron to enter in the demolition derby. If you like throwing money away go for it.

Pound for pound carbon fiber is indeed stronger than fiberglass. Your not going to see much weight savings though as it doesn't really require that much mat to reinforce an enclosure. a 12" x 12" square of real carbon fiber is going to cost you as much as several packs of 3oz stranded mat from wally world though............

If you want exotic go with baby leopard seal fur, camel scrotum, unicorn hide.............. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You'd probably achieve the same result at twice the price. However, you could use less if it so in the end it will be lighter (if you care). Try it out.
More in the realm of 10x the price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.