Using An Undercoating

I would not use an undercoating for a box. For the simple fact that it is much like a tar type coating and may be very messy inside your car. I would use spray on truck bedlinear.

You can get a can at wal-mart for $14 that would do a small box. It will dry hard and not rub off like undercoating.

the only thing i saw at the walmart by me was a quart can of brush on stuff. they wanted something like 26 bucks for it to. i am going to test the undercoating on a piece of scrap tonight. from the directions on the can it looks like it will harden and can even be painted. iim not sure though, i have a decent sized box i want to do and it will cost me more to cover it in bed liner that it did to have the box made.

you wont need to prime...that stuff sticks to just about anything and when it is dry i dont think it is suppose to rub off, but i have always used it outside my car so I would recomend testing before you do that and possibly make a mess of your interior.

I used that on my old box, and a box I'm currently working on. Mar-Hyde brand rubber undercoating. Big red can, like 4 or 5$ at auto/home centers. Shake it well and apply in a warm area to a smooth surface and it looks great. Takes a while (approx 8 hrs for a thick coat) to dry, but works well. Sound deadens as is covers.

Originally posted by Jdg784 Sound deadens as is covers.
not really //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif ...but thats not the objective anyways......so if it doesn't rub off your good to go.

how do you say not really? It says it right on the **** label. The stuff is basically a spray-on form of sound deadening. It stops vibrations and adds a layer of insulation?

I would really like to know the answer to this myself. Rubberized under coating when applied is adding mass allthough very little. It is still adding mass. Which is the same thing that sound deadener's do. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

coming from someone who has applied quite a bit of sound deadening and used 3 cans of underspray in the last 2 days it actually can be as much mass as the conventional sound deadening w/an extra layer or 2. I sprayed a box platform w/3 layers so it wouldn't vibrate against the metal it rests on and it actually came out thicker than the sound deadening (the roll type stuff).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.