Using a 2-ohm sub with a 4-ohm stable amp

leousm

USA
First of all, hello everyone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I have an MTX TA3404 amp (100x4 RMS @ 4-ohms, 200x2 RMS bridged @ 4-ohms) with which I want to use the front channels to power a pair of components (in stereo) and the rear channels to power a sub (in bridged mode).

The sub is a Kicker CompVR 12" with dual 4-ohm voicecoils (wired in parallel for a 2-ohm load). Now, I'd like to run this sub off the bridged rear channels, but the amp specifications allow for only 4-ohms.

My question is: Can I still use the 2-ohm sub, but set the amp to a lower gain?

The way I see it, I could set the gain using a digital multimeter so that the voltage across the bridged speaker outputs is 20.00 volts and thus produce 200 watts @ 2-ohms, instead of the 28.28 volts at the manufacturer specified 4-ohms to produce 200 watts.

Would this be at all feasible? If so, are there any drawbacks to this?

Basically, I just want to do as much as possible with the stuff I already have, without buying a new sub or amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks in advance

Well its been done before had a couple kids aroud my area with the same issue...its not the smartest thing to be doing due to the damage you could bring to ur amp. I had to set the gains much lower so the amp wouldnt go into protect. I would suggest a second amp to save all the hassel. Im sure the amp will perform ok on lower gain setting, but I have also seen a amp not run at all due to wrong load.

This may be the stupidest comment in the world right here but : couldn't you just run one channel per coil of the sub? Why wire your sub to 2 ohms, bridge your amp to a single channel and then do all your adjustments to only output 200 watts when you state that the amp does 100 watts per channel RMS at 4ohm? Use 2 channels for your components and then the other two channels to your sub?

Actually, i just looked up your amp and here are the specs I found :

* Thunder 4-channel high-performance car amplifier featuring patented class A/B output* 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts x 4 at 2 ohms)

* 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms

* Xtant Technology Cooling (XTC) - Thermal-regulated turbo-charged fan intercooler

* PrizmEFX accent lighting effects - Customizable to match your vehicle's interior

* Semi-unregulated MOSFET power supply

* Overload and thermal protection

* StreetWires connection terminals

* Electronic crossover at 85 Hz, 12 dB/octave Hi pass (front channel), defeatable

* Electronic crossover at 85 Hz, selectable 12 dB Hi/24 dB Low (rear channel), defeatable

* Dual mono output, selectable

* Input (RCA connection): Low-level, hi-level w/Smart Engage

* Input sensitivity: 100mV-1V/1V-10V switchable

* Input select 2/4 channel

* CEA-2006 Compliant

* Dimensions: 12-11/16" L x 9-5/8" W x 2-1/2" H
your 100 watt RMS is at 2 ohms per channel so listening to me up there would only get you 50 watts per coil.. but you knew that and that's why your asking about bridging the last 2 channels into the subto get 100 watts per coil.

Perhaps my comment is the stupidest comment in the world... lol

I'm probably abou tto pick that same amp up for my 2 10' MTX 6000s. My problem is however that I don't know the OHM of the subs, and I dont' have access to one of those machines that tells you. Should I just go ahead and buy the amp and hope for the best? How would I hook up the amp channel wise or w/e?

It also depends on the amp. Some amps are horribly under rated when it comes to impedence levels. I had a small, old school, kicker 2 channel amp. I ran a dual 4 Ohm sub at 2 Ohms, and bridged the amp. It was definately not rated for that, and kept blowing fuses. Once I jumped up 10 Amps in the fuse size it ran like that for years.

That said, it was a dumb thing to do. I got the amp for cheap, and didn't really care if it died, but the point is, it didn't die.

Well, I e-mailed MTX about this and this is what they said:

you can not use the 2-ohm sub set to a lower gain.your voltage calculations are correct; however, it is the current dissipation of the output transistors that will increase by about ten times when the output load is dropped to 2 ohms and the gain is turned down to the voltage specified.

the safe way to connect this woofer to this amp is at 8 ohms.
So I guess what dictates whether or not an amp is stable at a given impedance is its amperage rating. This is why mil81 was able to run his amp at a lower impedance by bumping up the fuse. This however isn't as simple as changing fuses as the output transistors will handle up to a certain amount of current before you see some smoke. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Well I guess I'm putting my sub on eBay and getting a dual 2-ohm. Why settle for 100 watts when I can get 200 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm probably abou tto pick that same amp up for my 2 10' MTX 6000s. My problem is however that I don't know the OHM of the subs, and I dont' have access to one of those machines that tells you. Should I just go ahead and buy the amp and hope for the best? How would I hook up the amp channel wise or w/e?
I recommend picking up a digital multimeter, they run about $15 at Walmart or an auto parts store. With it you can just measure the resistance across its terminals.

Otherwise, I'm sure your subs have a part # stamped somewhere on them. You can check here and find all the specifics on them:

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/archiveSubwoofers.cfm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.