Urgent. About Passive Crossovers!

Participant count
  • Participant list

njknittle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
PA
Can you use different Passive Crossovers for different speakers or do the speakers have to be the same as the passive crossover? Also do you really need a crossover for a speaker or can you directly run wire to the speaker?

i had Cadence components and they took a crap. Left the Passive Crossovers, and replaced the Components with new Alpines. Will that hurt anything? Also. Do i need to use Crossovers for a speaker?

thats whats happening i think. it makes a horrible sound when i turn the deck up to a certain point. Really bad clippin

Also you didnt answer my other question. Do i need crossovers? or can i run speaker wire right to the speaker. Would it sound better?

Probably be best to find the crossover that came with the set. Other crossovers may have different crossover points, slopes, or even be designed for drivers with different impedances.

Before u get another xover, at least find out what your stock crossover point was and the ohm load of your mids and of your tweets. Then find a replacement xover that matches those specs.

that's about the same as throwing a sub in a box made for something else.

it will work but it may be potentially dangerous to equipment and will more then likely sound sub par.

You don't "need" crossovers for the mids, they will roll off naturally at the high end. But the tweeters must be hipassed at the frequency they are designed to work at. If you play them too low you can damage them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.