Ups/downs of class A/B or D amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Supergumby5000
5,000+ posts

Project: F350 begins...
Pullman, WA
Other than efficiency, is there any benefit or loss when comparing class A/B amps to class D amps for a substage?

reason i ask is im looking at some amps, which i want to be matching between my speakerstage and my substage. I need about 800rms. the amps i am looking at have a 1000rms class a/b, and a 1500rms class D.

I dont need 1500rms, but will i really notice a difference in a substage in terms of efficiency? the sub in this setup is rated for 600rms.

its partially the efficiency rating, but also the efficiency when in use.

class D tends to be pretty efficient from 10% to 100% rated power.

class AB tends to have ok efficiency at 100% rated power, and really poor efficiency at lower output power.

the result is that turning the volume down might not reduce the system's draw by as much as expected. this can be annoying if the electrical system is susceptible to heavy loading.

I've noticed that a big part of this subject is the tuning of the amp, and the music used for tuning. when you try to overemphasize certain qualities, you can get poor results. try listening to a variety of music with punchy bass, deep bass, generally loud bass, ect... the above can be true if you tend to re-tune your system, as you'll tend to optimize it to sound the best with the music you're listing to at that time.

its partially the efficiency rating, but also the efficiency when in use.
class D tends to be pretty efficient from 10% to 100% rated power.

class AB tends to have ok efficiency at 100% rated power, and really poor efficiency at lower output power.

the result is that turning the volume down might not reduce the system's draw by as much as expected. this can be annoying if the electrical system is susceptible to heavy loading.

I've noticed that a big part of this subject is the tuning of the amp, and the music used for tuning. when you try to overemphasize certain qualities, you can get poor results. try listening to a variety of music with punchy bass, deep bass, generally loud bass, ect... the above can be true if you tend to re-tune your system, as you'll tend to optimize it to sound the best with the music you're listing to at that time.

great info, thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.