Upgrading from Alpine type S 12"-

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mrcash05

I currently have a newer model 500rms Alpine type S 12" in a small sealed box. Sounds decent and pretty loud but looking to upgrade to higher quality sub around 450-500rms. Would like to try ported box and was thinking of getting a 10W3v3. I listen to rap and rock and would be in the back of a small hatchback so space is limited. Would the 10w3v3 sound louder/better than the sealed type s 12"? Any other recommendation you have in place of the JL? I have never had a ported box either just single 10",12",15" in sealed boxes ranging from 300-500rms. Not expecting to be heard 3 block away with any setup either.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Type S is a pretty good sub...it will handle 500rms all day long...have you considered trying it ported? In 1.75cubes tuned to 32hz with a ss filter applied at 30hz@12db you can feed it 800rms before it reaches x-max. What amp do you plan on using? When going ported, a good subsonic filter is crucial.

Is the type s even worthy building a new box for? Would I even be able to tell a difference in up grading to a higher quality sub? Will be using amp only in 4ohm mode keeping system low power in general.

For sub

Diamond audio D31100.1

450x1@4ohms

800x1@2ohms

100x1@1ohm

Kewnood ddx672bh

JL TR650‑CXi front and back

Diamond audio D31100.1

Diamond audio TX300.4

Stinger and sky high wiring.

Optima red top under hood with stock alt for now

Is the type s even worthy building a new box for? Would I even be able to tell a difference in up grading to a higher quality sub? Will be using amp only in 4ohm mode keeping system low power in general.

For sub

Diamond audio D31100.1

450x1@4ohms

800x1@2ohms

100x1@1ohm

Kewnood ddx672bh

JL TR650‑CXi front and back

Diamond audio D31100.1

Diamond audio TX300.4

Stinger and sky high wiring.

Optima red top under hood with stock alt for now
lets take it back a notch and tell us your max dimensions you are willing to give up in L x W x H. A picture of the hatch/trunk would help as well. But dimensions are needed.

Using the dimensions you provided minus the thickness of 3/4inch MDF you're looking at 17.5x19.5x13.5=4606.875 (cubic inches)/1728 (1 cubic foot in cubic inches)=2.66 cubic feet internal space NOT including any port/brace/speaker displacement....I think you could get a good ported box for a 12 within those limitations.

Also your question about the Type S being worth trying a nice box...it depends on the model of Tye S you're using...the older models weren't all that impressive...however the newest version is actually pretty nice. It's an underhung coil/motor design with 15mm of throw with a reasonable mounting depth and moderate power requirements...you could do a lot worse in a subwoofer.

With 1000@1ohm (or even 800@2ohms) the Type R is a good choice...segmented magnet structure that allows for better cooling, a shorting ring, 'compound-radius curve' shape on the pole piece to help 'shape' the magnetic lines of flux, 20mm of throw, specifically designed grill...and handles gobs of power.

Good news is your amp has a variable subsonic filter(15hz-40zh) which will allow you to control the unloading of your sub below the tuning frequency of a ported box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.