Upgrade Speakers In a Chevy Express?

Participant count
  • Participant list
As the title suggests, I want to upgrade the sound in my 2013 Chevy Express. The stock speakers have no bass response, limited mid-range and very tinny(?) treble. They produce low volume and high distortion and just sound awful. There are 6 speakers in the van...2 in the front doors (opening for 6.5"), 2 in the tail doors (opening to fit 6x9's) and 2 in a rear sound bar (4x6). I'm satisfied with the features of the stock head unit and would prefer not to change it, but would consider it if necessary.

I'm looking at JBL GTO938's for the tail doors, GTO6428's for the sound bar and either GTO608C's (do I need an amp for these?) or GTO638's for the front doors.

Will this work with the factory head unit? I visited a local car audio dealer and the gentleman told me that I needed to upgrade my head unit as well or I would have less volume than I currently do (he said factory speakers designed to run on less power = more efficient), and that I would not have the quality sound that I'm looking for due to the factory unit (garbage in...garbage out).

I really don't have the money to purchase a head unit at the moment and would like to wait...would it be a waste of my money to go ahead and purchase the new speakers? How about adding an amp to the factory radio...would that work? If I should get the speakers now...which ones for the front doors? (I should add that the factory locations for the front and tail doors are located extremely low and FAR from the passenger's ears.) Thanks!

umm the mounting locations for the speakers arent going to allow for much bass as its mostly just open gap. if you seal up the hole that the speaker mounts into you will geat alot better sound.

the back doors have huge holes in the panel right below the sub for cargo pockets for the door card seal these and bass should easily double.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.