Upgrade options...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey guys. I've been rocking my SA-15 for quite some time now, and I really do love it. However, I'm reaching that point that all of us eventually do - I need to upgrade again. Now, my trunk gives me plenty of space, but the opening is my issue - it doesn't give me a very good gap to get a deep (or tall, one or the other) enclosure in. My enclosure is barely meeting requirements for my SA-15, and well, here's the verdict: Should I,

1. Design a new enclosure and then build it in my trunk - this would save me quite a bit of money from doing somewhat of a rebuild, but I'm afraid I'd eventually get used to that, too, and have to spend more money anyway. I'd probably have to have the sub fire up, and I've heard a lot of cars lose output that way.

2. Do a total rebuild. My trunk can much more easily fit 2 12s firing back than a 15. That, or a 4 10 install, probably firing upwards. I'd also be upgrading amplifier power. This would be the more expensive option, but would leave quite a bit to work with if I ever needed more in the future.

I'm currently giving my 15 about 800-900w from my Kenwood KAC-9105d, and I'd definitely upgrade if I went with 2 12s or 4 10s. If I got a new enclosure, I'd probably keep it.

Which would you guys go with?

or 4 10's in a 4th orderor a stonger 15, new box, and LOTS more power
The 15s are just hard to do when they're not firing up, because they're pretty tall. And the taller the enclosure, the less depth I'm gonna be able to fit in, just because of the way my trunk opens up.

I think I'm gonna end up doing a 2 12 build, port and subs firing back. I'll probably up the power by 500-1000w.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.