Upgrade Advice

BigCrab

CarAudio.com Newbie
My current setup is a single Sundown E10 V4 2Ohm sub, In a custom ported box. I've been running this for a little over a year now and it's a pretty good setup for what it is. I'm just looking for something a little louder. I've factored in my budget, available space and have come up with a couple of solutions. I'm just trying to get someone's input on why one option would be better over the other. I'm not so much focused on total gains as I am price - to gain ratio. Also, I'm in a hatch back so I'm not separated by a trunk wall. and mainly listen to metal music but hip-hop with deep bass finds its way into my rotation fairly often, if that helps

1. Keep the box, sell the sub itself and upgrade to one of sundown's higher end 10-inch subs. My enclosure fits all of the recommended size specs for the SA series, I'm just worried It wouldn't produce a meaningful difference in volume. (I'm also open to other brand recommendations if you have them)

2. Sell the box, keep the sub, buy a matching one, and have a new custom box built to house them both. There's a guy local to me and he does excellent work, but it's his side gig and his lead time can be pretty long. (While this one may give the most significant gain, its cutting it close on my available space)

3. Sell the entire setup and move to a single 15-inch sub.

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Go bigger! Evan going to higher output 12 would be better than going to another 10. The only instance where I am staying with the same size driver is if I'm adding another identical unit, not an option here.

Go bigger! Evan going to higher output 12 would be better than going to another 10. The only instance where I am staying with the same size driver is if I'm adding another identical unit, not an option here.
Any recommendations on a good 12 or 15? I like my sundown but I don't wanna sleep on another solid brand either.

You're gonna get a lot personal recommendations. I like these for the money, don't think that they get nearly the credit deserved.

12" (if you have around 1.7 to 1.85 cu ft available - $189.99.

This flat pack glue and screw box $160.00, delivered no tax (least not in Idaho) Get the 31hz tuning option unless you have the room for the 29hz tuning option:

Now you'd also be set up for the future when you add a 1500 watt stinger amplifier. this sub is rated up to 1200 watts RMS. Stinger amplifier $159.99

Amazon product ASIN B0BN2BG2M1
These are nice too at $221:

I think that you are going to run out of room with a 15". For example, the NVX version of that sub above $209.99

wants a 3.5 cu ft box, most are going to want that or at least 3. If it fits, it is a nice 15 too and only $209.99

Box tuned to 29hz $210.00

Last edited:
How much power do you have and what's your budget?
I've beefed up my Electrical to accommodate some other after market electronics in addition to subs. So I'd be pretty comfortable at 1200w rms. I could definitely do more safely but I'd like to leave my self some headroom for future projects. As far as budget I'd like to stay inside $400 for the sub itself (not including box, Amp etc..)
How much power do you have and what's your budget?

You're gonna get a lot personal recommendations. I like these for the money, don't think that they get nearly the credit deserved.

12" (if you have around 1.7 to 1.85 cu ft available - $189.99.

This flat pack glue and screw box $160.00, delivered no tax (least not in Idaho) Get the 31hz tuning option unless you have the room for the 29hz tuning option:

Now you'd also be set up for the future when you add a 1500 watt stinger amplifier. this sub is rated up to 1200 watts RMS. Stinger amplifier $159.99

Amazon product ASIN B0BN2BG2M1
These are nice too at $221:

I think that you are going to run out of room with a 15". For example, the NVX version of that sub above $209.99

wants a 3.5 cu ft box, most are going to want that or at least 3. If it fits, it is a nice 15 too and only $209.99

Box tuned to 29hz $210.00

Thanks man I'll definitely take a look at this stuff.

Cool, looks like you're already set up amplifier wise. That NVX 12 (1200 watts rms) and the GP ported box would be an impressive upgrade, well within your budget too.
Yeah especially if I sell my current rig, I can give someone a solid deal on market place and eat up a chunk of my cost while doing it.

12 of these and just make a big sealed box for em all 3cf id be dope

I have a question...
What happened to RE Audio? Are they still a competitive brand? I see they still have a website and their equipment is pretty expensive. The XXX was the loudest sub I ever heard, but that was over 10 years ago. How do they hold up to today's competition?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...