Underpowering a subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

RokintypeRs
10+ year member

Missouri
I got my Pioneer TS-W3002D4 2 12 inches running at 1 ohm 850 watts each for a total of 1700 watts off of a Hifonics BE1700.1D. Is it ok to turn up the dB a little more than what the oscope says? I tuned it with an oscope and if I turn the dB up any further it causes clipping. Unfortunately its only about 1/4 of the way up and I want to get more bass but I don't want to spend money on an amp and I want it to hit hard but I was wondering if I clip it a bit it sounds fine. is this ok to do?

You can clip it a bit but if you hear any bottoming out or if the subwoofer and/or amplifier start getting crazily hot I would keep it down. Also if voltage starts suffering it will take an already clipped signal and make it worse so if you aren't atleast doing rated with the amplifier I wouldn't bother and I'd get a battery and/or alternator upgrade which will probably yield the gain you're looking for anyways.

Basically I wouldnt unless you're getting adequate voltage and the components you're using can handle the slight clip.

Well I know this is not the "right way" to do this, but I always Just set my HU & interior speakers up to where they sound the best they can at around 3/4 volume, then I tune my subs by ear... I have a dmm but I rarely use it, I've had no problems tuning many amps by ear over the years, but I have a very good ear for sound as I've also been playing guitar since I was 14... NOT the best option for everyone as I've read lots of horror stories about ppl cooking their subs, but I prefer using my ears for this...

You can clip it a bit but if you hear any bottoming out or if the subwoofer and/or amplifier start getting crazily hot I would keep it down. Also if voltage starts suffering it will take an already clipped signal and make it worse so if you aren't atleast doing rated with the amplifier I wouldn't bother and I'd get a battery and/or alternator upgrade which will probably yield the gain you're looking for anyways.
Basically I wouldnt unless you're getting adequate voltage and the components you're using can handle the slight clip.
That's what I thought my electrical current is fine I just don't want to hurt them that bad uk? lol

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I know you NIHL8ION I stopped the SA's. I didn't think I needed them these Pioneers rock you were right!!

That's what I thought my electrical current is fine I just don't want to hurt them that bad uk? lol 

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I know you NIHL8ION I stopped the SA's. I didn't think I needed them these Pioneers rock you were right!!
LOL nice, I told you you can't go wrong for the low price you can get those for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.