Type-R 15" or a Type-X 12"

chartman18
10+ year member

Bass Bumper
I currently have 1 Type-R 12" in my car in a 2.5cu.ft. 32hz enclosure ported. Will a single Type-X 12" work fine in that kind of box, with a Hifonics BXi 1606D Mono Amplifier at 2-ohms? Or am I better off getting a Type-R 15" in a new box?

Or should I just slap another Type-R 12" in a dual sub box around 4-4.3cu.ft. 32hz enclosure and power it at 1-ohms with the amplifier?

Thanks if you help me out.

Thanks for the suggestion, OoMesKoO. Would it be worth it to have that 15" at 1-ohm compared to a 12" at 2-ohm?

Actually it would definitely be better, duh.

But I guess I meant, what would be a better bang for my buck? Adding another Type-R 12" in a 4 ish cu.ft. at 32hz enclosure, just a single 12" Type-X at 2-ohm in a 2.5cu.ft. 32hz enclosure, or a complete new box suited for a 15" Type-R at 1-ohm?

So far, Im thinking adding another Type-R 12" and wire them to 1-ohm would be best I think, cuz they'll be receiving about 600-800watts each with my amplifier.

Anything else?

absolutley. I actually just read a post 5 minutes ago about a guy with a 15" Type R doing 145.5 on music! Looking at a 150 on a burp! That spells 15" @ 1 ohm FTW to me!!

I don't know which one would be best, but if you decide to go with a type x, it would work great in the box you have the R in now.

I've never used an R before, so I can't really say. My friend has a type x and it gets loud. Its amazing on the real low stuff too.

two 12s in a 32hz enclosure would be your best bet. Two 12s have more cone area than a single 15'' R and a 12'' X....... You would be at a disadvantage if you went with a single-sub setup, but anything is possible....

To the person who said he read a post about a TypeR 15 hitting 145 on music. It's not that easy and it took a sh!t load of work/practice/trial&error to get a 15'' to hit that stage. Mark Potts is actually one of the first to shock the forums of the capabilities of TypeRs and i am pretty sure his boxes are a big factor. If your looking to hit high numbers on a music, we need to know what car is it going in. We still wouldn't tell you what your hitting even if you gave us every detail. If it was me, i would go with the two 12s in a 6cube box tuned to 32hz......

I've been thinking about this for a long time, i have a 97 firebird with a older 15 type r, its a 500rms at two ohms. Its in a sealed box around 2 cubes. Sounds good good but could be louder, what do u think i should do, a type x or two type r's. i've never heard a x but ive been told i would be louder than my 15, but i also heard two type r's ported would be louder than both. Were should i go next

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.