Two way or three way Electronic Crossover?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
If I'm going to be running two amps, one mono and one four channel, would I use a two or three way electronic crossover? I will be running 4-6.5s and 4 tweeters (not components), all separate drivers. Do electronic crossovers really make a difference? Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

Thinking of using a Lanzar VibeX6 3 way or an American Bass ABX31A 3 way crossover. Would it be worth it to use an active crossover? My mids and highs are all separate drivers, no components.

Thinking of using a Lanzar VibeX6 3 way or an American Bass ABX31A 3 way crossover. Would it be worth it to use an active crossover? My mids and highs are all separate drivers, no components.
those are absolute junk. get a dayton DSP instead... simple google search will be the first thing on your search list.

If you have raw drivers, you definitely need a digial signal processor for active crossovers. You need the ability to choose the crossover points and slopes where the mid, the tweeters play with with each other AND your vehicle acoustics. Whatever you were looking at does absolute jack sh*t on that(extremely limited frequency options, slope adjustment and lack of bandpass capabilities) which is the key thing that makes or breaks your system sound quality tuning wise. Plus the dsp has waaaay more tuning options than you can ever hope for for ideal perfection in the sound like bandpass capable crossovers 20hz to 20khz, -6 to -24 slopes, linkwitz riley, butterworth and bessel types of slopes, time correction, 80 bands of parametric EQ with adjustable Q factor and literally selecting any frequency you want, signal summing yada yada audiophile tuning heaven etc... . its 150 dollars, most other DSPs that offer the same features cost 600$+

download the dayton audio app on your phone and play with it before you buy its a free app if you buy the 30 dollar bluetooth dongle you can control all the tuning on your smartphone and not need to lug around a laptop. It also allows you to save 6 types of tunings, one or any occasion. Its better than a head unit and can be used as a head unit (all audio, no visual or physical buttons other than the app on your phone) streaming aptx lossless straight onto the dongle as well.

Last edited:
those are absolute junk. get a dayton DSP instead... simple google search will be the first thing on your search list.

If you have raw drivers, you definitely need a digial signal processor for active crossovers. You need the ability to choose the crossover points and slopes where the mid, the tweeters play with with each other AND your vehicle acoustics. Whatever you were looking at does absolute jack sh*t on that(extremely limited frequency options, slope adjustment and lack of bandpass capabilities) which is the key thing that makes or breaks your system sound quality tuning wise. Plus the dsp has waaaay more tuning options than you can ever hope for for ideal perfection in the sound like bandpass capable crossovers 20hz to 20khz, -6 to -24 slopes, linkwitz riley, butterworth and bessel types of slopes, time correction, 80 bands of parametric EQ with adjustable Q factor and literally selecting any frequency you want, signal summing yada yada audiophile tuning heaven etc... . its 150 dollars, most other DSPs that offer the same features cost 600$+

download the dayton audio app on your phone and play with it before you buy its a free app if you buy the 30 dollar bluetooth dongle you can control all the tuning on your smartphone and not need to lug around a laptop. It also allows you to save 6 types of tunings, one or any occasion. Its better than a head unit and can be used as a head unit (all audio, no visual or physical buttons other than the app on your phone) streaming aptx lossless straight onto the dongle as well.

It sounds awesome, but I don't know if anybody in Vegas knows what to do with one of those pieces. So, two amps, a Dayton DSP, and my head unit, and, I will be good to go?

I’m wondering, how would that Dayton compare to the built in dsp in my Pioneer avh-x4800bs that I am currently using? Would I gain any flexibility in my tune?
It sounds good now, but there’s always room for improvement.
the pioneer is limited to the set frequencies thats in the head unit like 2000, 2500, 3150, 4k, 6k, 8k etc for both crossovers and EQ. Literally the dayton each mid, tweeter, subwoofer, midbass(8 pairs of rca outputs) has their own 10 band EQ which you can select any number from 20hz to 20,000hz, so if you have a harsh peak at 7447hz, you can literally choose that one along with how much the EQ cut affects the surrounding frequencies aka pin point control at that exact frequency or big general cut in the area this is what Q factor is. You have the same ability to choose any crossover point, if you want to cross your tweets at 1888 hz instead of 2000hz, voila you can. Pioneer is also limited to the type of crossovers used. Theres a big difference between bessel, linkwitz riley and butterworth that can help out in a lot of situations in tuning.

so yeah its extreme flexibility far beyond what your pioneer can do.

the pioneer is limited to the set frequencies thats in the head unit like 2000, 2500, 3150, 4k, 6k, 8k etc for both crossovers and EQ. Literally the dayton each mid, tweeter, subwoofer, midbass(8 pairs of rca outputs) has their own 10 band EQ which you can select any number from 20hz to 20,000hz, so if you have a harsh peak at 7447hz, you can literally choose that one along with how much the EQ cut affects the surrounding frequencies aka pin point control at that exact frequency or big general cut in the area this is what Q factor is. You have the same ability to choose any crossover point, if you want to cross your tweets at 1888 hz instead of 2000hz, voila you can. Pioneer is also limited to the type of crossovers used. Theres a big difference between bessel, linkwitz riley and butterworth that can help out in a lot of situations in tuning.

so yeah its extreme flexibility far beyond what your pioneer can do.
That sounds amazing! I’m pretty new to dsp, so this sounds like almost a giant leap for me. I don’t have a meter, so all the tuning I have done thus far has been done by ear. I’m gonna check out the Dayton, but if I made the leap, I think I’ll have to pay a shop with a meter to tune it, because that don’t sound like an easy tune.

dont pay a shop, just experiment yourself also here's a full in depth video playlist of 14 videos on how to SQ tune with a dsp.

He's using a different dsp but the features are pretty much the same, the tuning concept explained is the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.