Two subs, two amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fidelio

CarAudio.com Newbie
I made some poor decisions and feel like I'm digging a deeper hole:

I bought a JL HO112rg-w3v3 (2 ohm 12" subwoofer with enclosure) and paired it with a JD500/1 mono amp.

I wanted more. I did not want to sell what I had and buy two 12w3v3s and a box to house them (stubborn.)

I have (2) JL 8" microsubs not in use and intended to use those with the 12", but research made me realize that was not a good idea.

Instead, I purchased another identical HO112rg-w3v3 and a older model JL amp, JX500/1D (small differences in specs, same wattage.)

The plan was to daisy chain (not strap) the amps and run each amp individually to a separate HO112rg-w3v3 and gain matching either by ear or with a multi-meter.

Questions:

Will the minute differences between these 2 amps create issues? Do I need to have an identical JD500/1 for this to work?

Is this a bad plan to begin with? Will these separate signals create noise cancellation or distortion?

Is two enclosures entirely unorthodox and weird? Does it pose any disadvantages compared to having a singular enclosure?

Would the gain have to matched to a near exact level? Can it just be close enough without creating issues?

I should have purchased two 12"s in the beginning, but this is the predicament I find myself in.

The separate matching 12” subs are fine assuming you can fit them and position them well, this may be hard if they are large boxes. They will technically work fine if positioned correctly (which is where a problem may come in). I would not run the two different amps.

It’s not bad stuff, but I’d consider trying to sell locally and get some matching 12’s, in a proper box that fits your application, should be able to find some nice ones with the money you get for the JL subs, same for the amps. Of course selling second hand subs / amps can be a real loss if you bought new.

You can obviously install it all and you might be totally happy with it, the subs being in their own enclosures means you won’t damage anything if the amps do not match their power levels very well. Worst is maybe phase and or cancellation issues hurting performance. I personally wouldn’t run it like that. I like JL Audio, but you can get more for your money with other brands. If you bought those subs new, that's $1000, and you can get a lot beefier subs for that kind of money. However, if you already own the stuff, it doesn't hurt trying it I guess.

Just my thoughts on it, others can add their input or recommendations.

I made some poor decisions and feel like I'm digging a deeper hole:

I bought a JL HO112rg-w3v3 (2 ohm 12" subwoofer with enclosure) and paired it with a JD500/1 mono amp.

I wanted more. I did not want to sell what I had and buy two 12w3v3s and a box to house them (stubborn.)

I have (2) JL 8" microsubs not in use and intended to use those with the 12", but research made me realize that was not a good idea.

Instead, I purchased another identical HO112rg-w3v3 and a older model JL amp, JX500/1D (small differences in specs, same wattage.)

The plan was to daisy chain (not strap) the amps and run each amp individually to a separate HO112rg-w3v3 and gain matching either by ear or with a multi-meter.

Questions:

Will the minute differences between these 2 amps create issues? Do I need to have an identical JD500/1 for this to work?

Is this a bad plan to begin with? Will these separate signals create noise cancellation or distortion?

Is two enclosures entirely unorthodox and weird? Does it pose any disadvantages compared to having a singular enclosure?

Would the gain have to matched to a near exact level? Can it just be close enough without creating issues?

I should have purchased two 12"s in the beginning, but this is the predicament I find myself in.
Not Ideal, but if you get them close to power matching its not a problem. 2 amps in 1 sub is different

Thank you for the replies. I would consider selling it, but I would rather not incur those brutal losses. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. The packages are rolling in day by day 😁. Now if I could just find a buyer for those 8"s.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...