Two CD players, neither powering up

Participant count
  • Participant list

BoominEclipse
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
When I bought my car it came with an unhooked Aiwa cd receiver. After getting a wire harness and wiring it up it won't power on. So I thought maybe it was a fuse deal, but my car didn't come with an owners manual. So I checked online and found a manual for a 1995 Honda Civic DX and checked it out. Problem is I think this was the European version of the manual but had English. So I went to the fuse number it said was for the stereo and sure enough it was blown. Went and bought fuses and replaced that and the fuse in the cd player, nothing still.

Went out and bought a Sony CDX-MP40 cd receiver today. Wired it up, nothing. I'm stumped. I'm not what you would call a pro at installing but I've never had problems doing it. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Check to see if you have any fuse's on the back of the HU. Also make sure the ant is hooked up, and the ground is good. You may have to check and make a new ground. I would take the HU out and hook the power and access wire to the positive on your battery, and the ground wire to the neg terminal on your battery. This will if the HU powers up you know it is in the car, not the head unit. The reason the head unit was not powered or hooked up is could be tha the person you bought the car from wanted his radio out and put a broke HU in to fill the hole.

If you bought the car from a dealer, I would take the car to him and tell him this. "you sold me the car and used the NADA value guide and raised the value of the car based on the car having a CD/AM/FM/TAPE (which ever one you have) and with that in mind the NADA book calls for the HU to be in working order for you to use it. You can either replace the head unit, or refund me the difference in price from the NADA.

Thanks for the reply. I went and had the receiver hooked up today, it works but only one speaker is working. I checked it out, there's only two speakers in the car (fronts), they are JBL 6.5 and they look alittle too big to be in the door. That is the specs for the door speakers from Honda, but looking at them half the speaker is hidden behind the door molding and awfully close to where if there's any excursion it'll hit the molding.

Anyways now there's only the left speaker working and I'm getting no bass from it, sounds like just the tweater is working. I'll be replacing the speakers but wanted something until then. Was just going to use the fronts and 2 cheap 12's till the summer.

The place I bought my car from is a buy here pay here and sold as is. I had informed them when I bought it that the player didn't work and they said they'd install another one if I bought it. Oh well, my fault and that's what bad credit will get ya.

Check the fuse labeled "Backup" in the fuse box under the hood by the engine. It should be a 7.5A If that doesn't work get a multimeter and check the readings for the constant and accessory wires to see if they both show around 12v

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.