Two amps making noises, Some help

fox_forma
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i dug up some of my old stuff that i been meaning to use again. The first amp being a phoenix gold XS2500, now this amp was badass when i used it over 6yrs ago. Now when the amp is powered on it makes a high pitch squeel and gets hot very quick. I sold it to a friend way back and when the installers hooked it up something happened, so i got it back for free. I was told it was a transistor or transformer (cant really remember) somewhere on the board that went bad which is prob causing this and not the heatsink or anything. Any easy way for me to test? Its been a while since electronics class in highschool, i'm in no rush so it doesnt have to be done now. The second amp i have is an oldschool Orion HCCA250, also hasnt been used in a very long time. Now this amp powers up and stays cool but i get a slight squeeling noise as well, when my truck is turned off but the key is in the ON position its quiet, but once the truck is started is when the noise comes into play, nothing like the Phoenix, more like morse(sp?) code. The power light is red on this amp which from what i recall is the normal power light and not protection mode for the old HCCA's. I havent tried to hook this amp up to any subs but want to see if anyone has any ideas to what the slight squeel is. I have 4awg wire power/ground, i'm sure the ground is solid as i tested it with a Digital Multi Meter plus my other amp, a pioneer gm-x722 works fine off it.

There are 3 resistors that look burnt on the Orion so I have to try and replace them for the most part, the noise sounds like it is coming from the smaller transformer on the board. My truck is an 03 Silverado SS with the stock Alt and Battery, not sure if that matters or not but thought i would throw it out there.

Thanks

it was a transistor or transformersomewhere on the board that went bad
There are 3 resistors that look burnt on the Orion

Sounds like you already know what the problems are. What exactly are you asking?

If you want them fixed, try to contact the manufacturer or kbaudio.com

Sounds like the PG amp has defective components possibly power supply or outputs or possibly a bad ground shield from the rca jacks to the board . id charge 25.00 plus shipping to repair the amp The orion sounds like a bad ground on the rca rca jacks or possibly an open trace on the circuit board 25.00 to fix that also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.