Tweeters keep blowing out

Participant count
  • Participant list

stemz
10+ year member

ontario
im not to familiar with car audio but a friend sold me two 12" kicker subs, a z edition 1600 watt amp, four 6.5" kicker ds65 2 way speakers, 4 quantom 1" tweeters and a audiofonic capacitor kit all for 500 bucks...i installed everything just fine...the only problem is that my rear tweeters keep blowing out if i bump the volume to high. i was reading some where and the said i needed a crossover and they mentioned something about high pass filter. they also mention something about bass blockers they said that might be the issue with my tweeters. i spliced my tweeters into the speaker wiring. i dont have my speakers or tweeters hook up to my amp all i have are my subs hooked up to it. any idea what im doing wrong any suggestion on how to fix it?? are my tweeters no strong enough?? the tweeters in the front of the car are working fine and i have them all set up the same way. any help would be apreciated

If your running two way co-axial speakers take the tweeters out you don't need them, there a crap brand anyways and if they don't already have one on the back wired in they need external x-overs.

well i have 2 tweeters in the rear and 2 in the from the ones that keep blowing out are the ones in the back...whats external x-over??

sweet so basically add the bass blockers to the posotive side of the tweeter?? one more i dont have my speakers or tweeters wired to the amp the only thing wired to the amp is the sub as for the speakers i have them wired to the original factory wiring and the tweeters are hooked up yo my speakers is that a good way to set it up??

Yes, you would wire the "bass blocker" inline on your positive (+) input of the tweeter. This would cause the lower harful frequencies to cut out (in a sense) and stop the tweeter from trying to reproduce a frequency it isn't designed to produce.

Yes, you would wire the "bass blocker" inline on your positive (+) input of the tweeter. This would cause the lower harful frequencies to cut out (in a sense) and stop the tweeter from trying to reproduce a frequency it isn't designed to produce.
As stated here..Make sure that the arrow on the blocker goes towards the speaker connection also,installed backwards can create distortion issues, and once again blow another tweeter.And also, if you are not running an amplifier on the other speakers, i would also recommend bass blockers on those as well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Blockers-Crossovers-6-5-6-75-or-6x9-Speakers-Fast-Free-USA-Shipping-/230818223510?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item35bdd69596&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Blockers-Crossovers-for-3-5-4-or-4x6-Speakers-/230823769172?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item35be2b3454&vxp=mtr

My radio has built in high pass filter and it seems that my amp has a button that says hpf im assuming its the same thing woulf i need to adjust any of that??

oh ok koo thanks...i was looking up the tweeters and theses some that have 50 rms / peak 350 rms and it says 8 ohms what does all that mean?? lol i mean if i dont have my tweeters or my speakers hooked up to the amp i dont think i need real high performance ones cuz then i see some tweeters that are 150 rms and 350 peak whats the diffrense??

Means they are rated to handle 50rms and are 8 ohm speakers. So hooking them up to your radio I'm not sure if they can see 8 ohm as most headunits power at 4 ohm. So if it can handle the tweeters through your deck you are running them at half the power the deck is rated at. Say the headunit is 20x4, the tweeters are seeing half that. Honestly IMO, ditch the tweeters all together. Run the 2 way kickers off the amp as they already have tweeters mounted on them. If you want better, go with a component set up front.

i got the subs hooked up to the amp the amp only has 4 spaces and 2 are used for the subs would i splice all 4 speakers together and hook em up to the amp or how would i do it??

you will need a second 4ch amp, for now just wire the speakers only to the hu and take out those crappy tweets tune everything in and it will sound fine without more work/money.

Ok kool ill do that one more thing my speakers wont get blown out like my tweeters will they?? I set the bass on the speakers them selfs to 0

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.