Tweeter issue - advice appreciated!

Participant count
  • Participant list

leeswiftatt

Hi all,

Found this forum and hoping someone with knowledge of car audio may be able to offer me some advice as my knowledge is pretty much zero :D

I have a fairly basic install with my head unit powering rear speakers and then front speakers, tweeters and crossovers, powered by an amp that also powers a sub.

Over the last year or two id noticed the front passenger side speaker was very dull/muffled and the tweeter didnt appear to be outputting any sound - this could often be rectified by cranking the volume up for a split second and then back down (not to a level that would blow speakers but loud enough and still probably not good for the system!). So i know they can work ok and often theres no issue.

The drivers side tweeter also does the same on occasion and sometimes both drop out to leave a muffled sound from the speakers only. Interestingly if i tap the tweeter casing whilst driving it can kick back into life straight away - does this suggest its a wiring issue in the tweeters directly? Someone said to me that there may be a bad connection and the blasting of the volume helps this reconnect the power and the tweeters then work. I have had this install for over 5 years now.

I have checked all the rca cable connections to the headunit etc which are solid so i was wondering if anybody would have an idea why it would only do this some times as id like to find a permanent fix if possible and unfortunately i don't have many companies in my area to refer it to.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

What does the system consist of? It would really help in the diagnosis. It def sounds like some sort of intermittent connection problem. Are the wires from the crossovers to the tweets run in any tight areas or at tight angles? It’s hard to diagnose because it’s intermittent. If it’s not too much trouble I’d suggest running a jumper from the crossovers to the tweeters just to rule out the wire as the problem. The fact that it happens to both tweeters at different times is troubling. Are the factory connections at the tweeter failing for some reason? Is there any corrosion anywhere? Luckily if the tweets are just dying, replacements can be purchased for not much money. Just make sure you get the same impedance (4ohm, 2ohm, whatever). Incorrect impedance will change the crossover point and sound like ****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...