Tweeter / Crossover Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

wrocky

I am installing a mid and tweeter component speaker/crossover set. I was going to put them in the factory lower door panel and “A” pillar locations. Now I am thinking that I might want to keep the factory tweeter where it is and add the component tweeter aimed more directly at the center of the vehicle. The component tweeter is rated at 4 ohms and the factory tweeter is rated at 5.2 ohms, so wiring the two tweeters in parallel will give a combined resistance of 4.6 ohms. The reasoning behind using two tweeters is to try and widen the sound field direction of the highs, like a horn. Would this setup do harm to the crossover? Would one tweeter chancel out the other? Are other issues or warnings that someone could make me aware of?

Just put the new tweeters in place of the factory tweeters. They're high up, which is good for keeping the sound above the dash, and the sound already spreads out by bouncing off the windshield, the dash, and the opposite sides of the interior. Adding another pair of tweeters is completely unnecessary.

Thank you for your reply.

I was under the impression that the highs do not travel very well, (like the lows), and it was better to have the tweeters closer to ear height directed toward the listener. Since my factory tweeters are fairly low in the a pillar, I just thought that maybe it would not hurt to keep the factories and put the new componet tweeters higher. I realise that it might not help the imaging, but I did not want to hinder the imaging either.

Again, your factory location of the tweeters is adequate. Ideal? Maybe not, but at that height it is absolutely not worth putting in a second pair of tweeters even higher on the A-pillar. If you were using coaxial speakers down low in the doors that is one situation where I would possibly recommend a second pair of tweeters mounted up high and crossed over high to raise the sound above the dash. You already have sound above the dash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.