Turn on/off pop and power issue....

smokesnugs
10+ year member

Okay, I've just recently stumbled an intense addiction to what has been a passion of mine for years and years, Just never got a chance to actually jump into it.. Audio/Car Customs... Always dreamed of having my own custom vehicle with a beatin *** sound system.. Love everything about it, drooled over other peoples vehicles and setups for YEARS..

It was only after I finally got my own vehicle, and put a "temp" system in it, or so I thought.. I have literally fell into nothing less than an addiction, head over heals. I have finally found my nich in life, and what I want to pursue as a skilled trade..

That being said, In the last 2 1/2 months I have went from being scared to death at the site of a wiring harness on the back of a headunit to taking my entire car apart while being able to do it skillfully and confidently.. With what I'd consider professional results based on what I've been learning.. It's almost to the point of being trivial for me.. I just want to move on and on and on! Building professional boxes with proper dimensions for the best quality sound is my next step.. Just need a few bucks for some wood! =)

ANYWAYS.. I've been working and working and working on my car loving the **** out of every second that I am working or learning something new. I've put 2x 6.5 Kenwoods in the front doors.. 2x 6x9 MTX Terminator's in the rear deck.. 2x 12" Dual 4 ohm Natural Sound Audiobahn Subs in the trunk with a Lanzar Vibe 258 1600 watt AMP pushing them, Last but not least.. A Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 Reciever running the operation..

Initially I had ******* buddy of mine help me install it cause I didn't know **** at the time.. After educating my self I realized at least half the setup was halfassed if not completely wrong.

I re-ran the wiring yesterday, separating my signal and power wires.. Went threw all my connections choosing to use wire nuts instead of crimps for future troubleshooting or installations, Changed the RCA Signal Cables to the proper slots on my headunit, He had them plugged into the "Rear" slots instead of the proper "Subwoofer" slots.. I can now adjust the amp/sub with xover and bass boost / on-off options.. Re-Wired my amp to make sure everything was nice and neat, Went over all my grounds making sure they were tight , proper, and sanded very well.. Replaced both terminals on my battery, which happens to be brand new as well.. Used a splitter block terminal on my positive to separate my alternator and amp power cables with the intention of giving the highest quality of voltage / connection..

All and all, I believe everything is setup properly..

So on to the reason I'm posting.. In the last week or so I've been pounding my system harder than ever before, It POUNDS.. And sounds great not to mention.. Not what I would consider beyond it's capabilities considering it sounded so smooth and perfect, while the amp would remain cool ALL THE TIME.. Didn't really consider my self to be straining the system recklessly.

Long story short, All the sudden... What went from me thinking the bass booster light on the nob I have next to my driver seat fading in and out because of a bad light or connection inside the bass booster, is now the amp going in and out completely, The light on the bass boost goes out, but the amp remains on so it seems.. The green light is on, but the subs are not getting anything from it.. I've also acquired a Pop when turning the car on/off.. Both problems are relatively random.. For the first time sense it started a few days ago, the amp just turned off and didnt come back on when I was coming home.. It just happened so I don't know if it will come back on or not considering I only tried to turn the battery on / off once or twice when I got home with no results..

I'm trying to figure out what you guys think , I honestly don't think I've killed the amp because when its on, it stays on pounding steadily like always.. except randomly ***** up.. Runs for 30min flawlessly, then randomly it turns off once, other times it randomly loses power several times in 5 minutes..

My main concerns:

Receiver going bad

RCA's requiring a better ground

Amp going bad

Bad wiring / Grounds

My biggest concern is the ground from the headunit it's self to the car.. It doesn't seem as good as it could be.. You can barely see it in the pic of my harness, it's off to the left attached by a black wire to the car..

I've been working non-stop but can't figure it out yet.. Help me out guys! Here's some pics on what I've described above..

View attachment 26530025View attachment 26530029View attachment 26530028View attachment 26530027View attachment 26530026View attachment 26530024

Thanks a lot everyone!

Same here after rewiring mine from 4g to 1/0 and moving my ground to a better spot i've also started getting the turn on sub pop.. but it comes and goes not every time... seems only when its a cold start... I've read online searching for this only thing I've actually seen is that the amp is cutting on before the radio signal is completely up. from reading? its HU turns on signal to amp to turn on... but seems like the signal to amp is beating the HU fulling turning on... not sure on this 100% tho

It could have something to do with the remote turn on wire. I have one wire that goes to my component amp and then from there to my sub amp and I don't have a problem. If you have your remote tied in to a fuse, you could try a different fuse....

eh... not fused on the remote turn on.. If all else I will just throw a toggle switch on and turn the amp on after the HU is completely signalized

K , Update with some good news.. And bad news... Got a new amp in the mail yesterday.. After hooking it up today the problem no longer exists.. That's the good news.. Bad news is my lanzar vibe is better and it seems that it's the problem.. What do you guys think, maybe something loose on the inside or what.. Im about to open it up now and look around..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.