14v batts vs. 12v batts

txdog27
10+ year member

Senior VIP Bad Ass Member
Started this in a new thread cause I need advice now on this...

I have a dual charging system...stock alt for vehicle power and video electronics etc and 270a HO alt for just the audio power

I am running a Rockford T2500.1BDCP and 2 Infinity Kappa Fours....4000 watts rms more or less

I have room to install two any size batteries under my hood side by side after some modding and a cold air intake upgrade and I have the truck gutted and stripped as we speak, all of my custom fiberglassing done, and finished all of my sound dampning tonight......now i need to start my electrical in the morning and and click the checkout button on a couple batteries.....but.....

I am in between these options...

Two 12v Kinetik KHC2000's or KHC2400's

Two 12v Shuriken BT120's

Two 14v XS Power D1400's

So basically Kinetiks and Shurikens, more or less the same thing, but the XS powers are 14v....

So my question is is it beneficial to run the higher voltage XS Power batteries with lower CCA and AH ratings over the 12v batteries with higher CCA and AH ratings?

Since I will have dedicated charging system for my audio system would using two XS Power 14 volt D1400's be a better choice?

I have been seeing good reviews about these batteries and I'm thinking it would make the amps more efficient running at 14.4 volts as opposed to 12 volts...Correct?

Would the two 14v D1400's along with the Mechman 270A be sufficient to run 4000 Watts total.....and would it keep me at a constant 14.4 to 16 volts?

The 14v batts charge at 16v correct? So what voltage will the amps see when the vehicle is running? 14.4 volts or 16 volts?

I have no experience with the 14 volt batteries and need some advice on just that and then I should be more than good for a while.

I wouldnt even be considering the 14v batteries if I was still on a single charging system, but since I am not anymore.....the 14 volt batteries are peaking my interest now.... as is the fact at running my amps more efficiently.

thx in advance

The amps will see whatever voltage the alt is charging at when the car is on. All batteries do is keep the voltage from dropping too low on heavy bass notes. The rest of the time you're running from the alt.

With a dual system and dedicated charging you can charge those 14v batteries as high as 16.8v, provided that your electronics can handle voltages that high.

Based on the ratings of your amp and the batteries 2 of the D1400's on a dedicated system should be enough.

A single 270a running 4k total is no problem, we have run that much and more off vehicles with that unit as a single.

Call me or email if you have questions, I can answer all of your questions easily over the phone.

aha....i was hoping you would chime in.....that is very good info to hear....will the 270a charge the 14v batts that high or will a stand alone battery charger have to be used? i would hate that if so.......

Awesome....looking for the best price on the D1400's and I'll probably get them on their way.......wish someone had a couple used ones layin around somewhere lol.....thinking i should get a third and figure out a way to get it to fit in the rear and use it instead of the rockford 10 farad hybrid i was gonna run.....then i KNOW i would be good on power..............

Awesome....looking for the best price on the D1400's and I'll probably get them on their way.......wish someone had a couple used ones layin around somewhere lol.....thinking i should get a third and figure out a way to get it to fit in the rear and use it instead of the rockford 10 farad hybrid i was gonna run.....then i KNOW i would be good on power..............
Did you ever get your d1400s? What kind of charging voltage are they seeing? And how is it on the car's electrical components?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

txdog27

10+ year member
Senior VIP Bad Ass Member
txdog27
Odessa, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date