Tuning Source: Amps or HU???

Vipervenom18
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Earth
I was just simply wondering what you guys use to tune your stereos with. By tuning I mean simple crossover settings, db settings, polarity settings, etc etc...

I know you're not supposed to use and activate identical crossovers from both the HU and Amps as they can interfere with one another and the slopes of the crossover frequencies can get all weird...

So does it depend on what piece of equipment has more features, or better quality features?

For myself, I have a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT for my head unit. My amps are a Q Series MB Quart amps (Q1.1500D, and Q4.150).

With my equipment, would you disable all settings on the HU and tune with the amps only, or do the opposite? Thanks.

it just depends on what you want to do. You can use both if you know what you are doing, If you have 12 db filters on both, then using both set the same will be the same as a 24 db filter. I'd set the amps higher than I plan to cross at, then use the hu to fine tune it. Just a little more protection for the speakers if you mess up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Headunit is easier to tune with provided you have an active capable HU. Otherwise tune at the amp, the amp will have more features than a non-active headunit.

it just depends on what you want to do. You can use both if you know what you are doing, If you have 12 db filters on both, then using both set the same will be the same as a 24 db filter. I'd set the amps higher than I plan to cross at, then use the hu to fine tune it. Just a little more protection for the speakers if you mess up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
this exactly.

By doubling up on the tuning your tuning isnt what you think it is. Even if they are 12db filters, the slopes may be different.

Yeah I was going to use just the amp for tuning settings, as gain/Xover settings are analog, aka you turn a knob to any desired frequency instead of the incremental selectable frequencies a HU gives you.

BUT then there are no actual labeling on the Xover and gain settings on the amps besides min/max, so anything you choose in between is just a guess on what xover frequency you're actually selecting so you play it more by ear... kinda blows

So pretty much the answer is to use common sense (lol) and use both (as in, if a certain HU setting works better than the amp one, but another type of setting works better on the amp, do so...)?

pretty much.best to experiment.only way i tune is to have the hu at the volume i listen to it at to see what i need to change.cause at lower volume levels,i never could get it right.

Ok so turn it up pretty loudly before clipping and all that to tune? I can see how that would make it easier to hear the audible differences.

Haha yeah I usually tune and set gains in a local state park so I don't **** my neighbors off, haha. It looks like my HU has a lot of features so I'll use it first and then the amp as a secondary if I need it to pick up the slack.

But my last question is there a noticeable different in power output from the amp if you don't or do tune from the amp? I just ask because one would think that if you use the amp to power the entire frequency range of full range speakers, only to have the HU limit some of the frequencies via xover settings, is that a waste/inefficient?

You can tell me to STFU if I'm over-thinknig this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.