Tuning my ported box...

Participant count
  • Participant list

CentralFC
10+ year member

Bottom line: I want my box to be between 32-36 hz.

My box is 1.94 cubic feet (20x16x14). The port will be 2.5x14" (35 sq. inches). Now, I'm confused with how this will affect the hz? I want it in that range because I've read that'll provide me with deeper bass. I'm just confused with how big my port will need to be to provide that.

Sub info: Alpine DVC-4 ohm (500 watts RMS at 2 ohm).

Amp: Alpine MRP M500 (500 watts x 1 @ 2 ohm).

RE Enclosure Calculator

Play with this and you will see.

Also, that type r takes more than 500rms. Give it 800rms. 1200peak.

there are lots of things that will change the sound of your bass. what are you looking for? what do you like to listen to. what is the main purpose of having this sub?

I hate to say it, but I'm a rap guy. It's not the ONLY music I listen to. Actually, my favorite band is Motley Crue, but I got the subs for the bass, so I'm getting into rap.

ok then. you need to put that ten in a box about 1.75 cubes tuned to around 33hz. and give it 70sqinches of port flow. so it can breath and beat your ass silly. and also give it powa. lots of powa.

RE Enclosure Calculator
Play with this and you will see.

Also, that type r takes more than 500rms. Give it 800rms. 1200peak.

there are lots of things that will change the sound of your bass. what are you looking for? what do you like to listen to. what is the main purpose of having this sub?
A type-r will not take 800w RMS ported. If you are feeding it a legit 800w rms it will seize up in less than 2 months.

They're rated for 500w rms and they shouldn't be pushed past it. Any one tells you otherwise it's because they had their amp clipped to hell and thought that because they saw 36 volts coming out of it that it must be pushing some mega watts. Meanwhile in real life if you would clamp the line you would see that only 400w are being pulled.

Be smart and follow manufacturer specs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.