How to CORRECTLY break-in a sub??

LoggedOut
10+ year member

AEKDB
Ω
Okay,

so usually when i pick up a new sub or subs, i just throw it in a box and play it at low volume for a few hours, just to get it warmed up. but after watching a few videos and reading some of your guys' threads, im thinking that may not be the best way to do it. some of you guys do what i do, and break it in that way, others of you play a 5hz tone in free air to get it going. I just picked up a 12" nightshade hybrid, and the suspension is stiff as hell. What would you recommend i do to break it in correctly? Ive never blown a sub, so i have no problem doing what i usually do, just looking for advice from you guys.

Thanks,

DDT

:facepalm:

you dont need to break it in. play it, it will loosen up on its own.

subs dont blow because of breakin processes, they blow because of misuse (power beyond thermal/mechanical limits, etc etc)

:facepalm:
you dont need to break it in. play it, it will loosen up on its own.

subs dont blow because of breakin processes, they blow because of misuse (power beyond thermal/mechanical limits, etc etc)

read my post before you come in all facepalmin and ****. haha im saying thats what i always do, is there a BETTER way to do it?

if the sub builder used quality stuff to glue the spider and surround down you shouldn't have a problem playing it straight out the box. but there's nothing wrong with allowing the suspension time to loosen up by playing at low volumes for 10-20hours

well it came reconed straight from sundown, so im sure the parts are quality. i guess ill just stick by my guns and go with the usual way. thanks penn

see what i mean? everyone does something different. maybe ill switch it up and f with some free air shat
i think you're missing the point.

you can take your time, feed a 1krms sub 200watts for a month, and let it break in that way

you can put a 1k 20hz tone on it for 15 seconds, and let it break it in that way.

no matter what you do, the sub will BE THE SAME after it is broken in. You wont have any gain from breaking a sub in over time or in 10 seconds, it will perform exactly the same either way.

took about 3 weeks for my l7 15 to break in maybe 2 but i noticed after about 3 and i never took it easy lol i but i had gain bass boost etc tuned by a pro

took about 3 weeks for my l7 15 to break in maybe 2 but i noticed after about 3 and i never took it easy lol i but i had gain bass boost etc tuned by a pro
quit pretending like you know what you're talking about. If you had to have someone else tune your amp, and he used bass boost, you dont know how long it took your sub to break in. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.