Tuning Help

Tyler.Rochester
10+ year member

when i looked up info on how to tune my amp with a multi meter it said to unplug the speaker and play a test tone of 45 hz and to adjust the gain until the voltage matched that of the formula sqrt(watts*resistance) which i came up with 34.64. Amp is sax1200 so I entered 1200 for watts and 1 for resistance. After doing all this and matching the voltage reading I hooked my sa12 back up to the amp. The thing i was wondering about is that with where the gain was set (a little under half way) the sub was barely moving and not very loud. Did I do something wrong because i know it can get louder. Thanks, Tyler.

what level was your test tone? most music wont even hit -6 db, so if you used a 0 db test tone your music will seem much quieter, but your speaker will be safer

good question. i cant remember anymore where i got the tone but idk what level its at. could i just put the tone on audacity and amplify it or something? or does anyone know where i could get a tone at a better level?

If you're speaker(s) is lower than 1200 W you're going to blow the speaker(s). You need to match the speaker load. If you're running 2 channels with 150W RMS x 4 ohm speaker in each channel your output voltage needs to be (150x4)**1/2 or sqrt(150x4) = 24.5V output per channel.

Test tones can be misleading. You're never going to reach the level of a test tone from a retail CD. The test tones are very loud - even the ones at 192 KB/s (+/- 0 dB). I find that the tones are not indicative of CD levels. Grab a CD that is recorded at a very high level and use that to adjust the amp output voltage for your mids and your subs. Set your head unit to 75% volume (and bass/treble levels +/- 0 dB) then adjust your amp's output voltage.

I use the Focal Tools CD #2 and use 50hz and 1kz for sub and comps, respectively. I'd recommend doing that and for matching the voltage with the speaker rather than the amp's capability.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.