Tuning Frequency???

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bake
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
I have a Kicker L5 12 that I need to build a ported box for to go into a regular cab truck. The recommended enclosures from Kicker seem to be tuned around 40Hz or so. Most of the post around here look like you guys tune much lower to around 30-32Hz. I know tuning lower would be better for a pure SQ system but many of the ones I see tuning this low only have a sub and amp with little to no front stage. Wouldn't tuning a little higher improve the (wow) factor. I know the kid I am building this one for is looking for that "I can't believe you only have one twelve type of reaction". So my question is do I tune to around 40 as Kicker seems to recommend or should I tune it a little lower. Thanks for any input on this.

IMO tune it a little lower than kicker reccomends. Chevy reg cabs peak low mine in the 36hz range and chevyaudio's is 38...Tune it to 35 hz and it will peak around there. We got a single mag 12 up to a 146+, single BTL over a 150, and a single MT around 150 dbs. On music it was in the 149's...loud for a small area and sound even louder at 38hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Cool, Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info on the peak for the Chevy regular cabs Jntar. This one is actually going in a Chevy and I will be building a new box for my Chevy soon.

EDIT: Jntar, Don't you and Chevyaudio have plenty of deadning in your trucks? Did you do any testing without deadning in the truck. Just curious how peaks might be affected.

Cool, Thanks guys.
Thanks for the info on the peak for the Chevy regular cabs Jntar. This one is actually going in a Chevy and I will be building a new box for my Chevy soon.

EDIT: Jntar, Don't you and Chevyaudio have plenty of deadning in your trucks? Did you do any testing without deadning in the truck. Just curious how peaks might be affected.
Clif aka Chevyaudio doesnt have much deadening in his truck. All the numbers I posted were from his truck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks. This guy has no deadning and I don't see him ever putting any in. I'll build him one at 35, sounds like what he would want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.