Tuning a JBL GT75.4

Participant count
  • Participant list

ffkk
10+ year member

PTA, RSA
Hi Guys,

I have the JBL amp for a while now but wanted to confirm/get opinions on tuning this amp correctly i.e. setting the gains on the amp and the crossover + equalizer on the headunit. I want to replace the current splits and need to decide on what I should buy after deciding how to correctly set this amp.

1. I wanted to use the HU for the equalizer and crossover as its digital compared to the amp. Would that be the preferred thing to do in terms of accuracy/performance?

2. The main issue I have is the amp is rated at 75Wrms but could be up to 104Wrms I think. Anyway I had a set of focal splits on the amp and they have been pounded pretty hard over the years so I think they have come to the end of their life.

Most split sysems available here are rated at 65 to 80Wrms. Would one recommend matching the amp gains to the HU pre-out voltage (usually the correct thing to do) and adjusting the equalizer maybe less 3db to ensure a 60Wrms signal to the splits or keeping the gains a bit lower and keeping the equalizer flat?

3. Should I set the xover to 60Hz or something higher depending on the freq response of the splits I get or is it a rule of thumb or keep the xover point higher?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.