Trying to figure this whole AMP thing out..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Schweino
10+ year member

Lets say I got 100w RMS speakers @ 4 ohm. Lets say I have a RF T600.4 that puts out 100w rms @ 4 ohms...what does this Efficiency mean Efficiency (average) 70% @ 4-Ohm

64% @ 2-Ohm.

Does this mean it really doesnt put out 100w rms at 4 ohms, more like 70w?

No it means that your amp is going to need more power from the car to make rated. Its not really that important to you.

In lamens terms: say we need to feed the country. Would it be more efficient to feed them rice or feed the rice to cows and then feed them cows? it would be more efficient to feed them the rice, the cows are going to eat it and poop most of it out.

Lets say I got 100w RMS speakers @ 4 ohm. Lets say I have a RF T600.4 that puts out 100w rms @ 4 ohms...what does this Efficiency mean Efficiency (average) 70% @ 4-Ohm64% @ 2-Ohm.

Does this mean it really doesnt put out 100w rms at 4 ohms, more like 70w?
Efficiency is usually a BS number anyway and has little bearing on real world performance. It is, in theory, the power it draws from your battery vs. the power it puts out to your speakers. Actual 65-70% is pretty good. Many manufacturers claim very high, but they never specify the method of testing, so it's normally at a particular frequency, output, and impedence that you may or may not ever even see real-world.

Oh, Ok then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Mr Nate, will you be my "friend" on here, to maybe answer a few more questions over the FB chat wannabe?

uhhhh, please don't fb me....... idk you..... plain and simple- efficiency is power in vs. power out...... 80-85% is a good number btw, not 60-65%, that would be just 'eh, though you may see lower efficiency on higher sq amps. it is real nice when you can get the efficiencies at different impedance's, so you know which point rail sag is going to drop to the point that you gain more heat, then power. for instance, the pre-2k kicker amps would give you all the efficiencies, including which is highest, so you would get ratings shown in something like 8ohm, 4ohm, 2.66ohm(highest efficiency shown) 2ohm, and i think 1.33 was shown as the minimum

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.