Trying to figure out proper wattage/excursion

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
I have two Fi ib3 15s in an IB config in the Camry. Was wondering what king of realistic wattage i could put to both of these and still play 25hz at full tilt. I am gonna play with some modeling later today but some of you are far more experienced at modeling and would take into account things i would not think of. i would appreciate your input on what you think would be reasonable.

On another similar note. I was thinking due to excursion limits, i could possibly have two settings on my dsp. One for playing ultra low songs where the gain and SSF are tightly controlled, and one for for playing daily with lowered gain and more open ended SSF.

Thank you for your assistance.

Specs are here.

IB3 Series - IB312 v2 | Fi Car Audio

^^ On 1k on a 28hz song. They are barely moving :p

Emailed Fi. They said 1200 max on each sub. On a 3" vc. Im thinking...lies.
Sounds honest. Start trying to dig down below 20hz and see how fast you run out of x-mech. Clamp over 1200W into those and see if they last 10 minutes. Now depending on your listening habits you could probably run 3K to the pair without ever running into trouble but still I bet I could break them in under 15 minutes with 1200 watts clamped power.

actually on this note. With a 3k amp. Will a 250 alt be good enough or should i be looking at adding bats? Ill never run the system loud with the engine off.
I'd be battery shopping myself, but again really depends what you're doing. If your voltage stays up above 12 probably not an issue.

Sounds honest. Start trying to dig down below 20hz and see how fast you run out of x-mech. Clamp over 1200W into those and see if they last 10 minutes. Now depending on your listening habits you could probably run 3K to the pair without ever running into trouble but still I bet I could break them in under 15 minutes with 1200 watts clamped power.

I'd be battery shopping myself, but again really depends what you're doing. If your voltage stays up above 12 probably not an issue.
1. I'm fully aware of excursion limits but I have a dsp with 6-48db slopes. Id set my gains with a scope,Hpf around 15-20hz on 48db slope and then run 32hz,31,30..until I found where I was hearing the ting ting of the VC hitting. Sweet spot

It's not excursion I'm worried about. I can hear over excursion. It's thermal rating I'd like to know the limits of. Still think 1200?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1. I'm fully aware of excursion limits but I have a dsp with 6-48db slopes. Id set my gains with a scope,Hpf around 15-20hz on 48db slope and then run 32hz,31,30..until I found where I was hearing the ting ting of the VC hitting. Sweet spot

It's not excursion I'm worried about. I can hear over excursion. It's thermal rating I'd like to know the limits of. Still think 1200?

Yes. That is accurate ballpark for 3" 4 layer. Mind you I've seen some pretty skimpy 3" 4 layers that I wouldn't trust with that much and there's a couple really chunky ones that might go with a little more but that's the rating where they should be pretty well indestructible.

Alright. I'll keep that in mind

Yes. That is accurate ballpark for 3" 4 layer. Mind you I've seen some pretty skimpy 3" 4 layers that I wouldn't trust with that much and there's a couple really chunky ones that might go with a little more but that's the rating where they should be pretty well indestructible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.