Trying to assemble first "real" system

actually i payed $265, shipped from sonic. i preferred to purchase from them, as if i needed to return anything, theyre a legit company. thanks for the input though.

What got me was the s/n ratio of 107db (I was also considering a new Zapco ST-5X but s/n was only about 85db.
That's nice but what's the S/N ratio of your Head Unit, I would wager a small bet that it is much less than 107db..

A high S/N ratio is good but the signal from the amplifier is only as clean and noise-free as the signal from the head unit.

That's nice but what's the S/N ratio of your Head Unit, I would wager a small bet that it is much less than 107db..A high S/N ratio is good but the signal from the amplifier is only as clean and noise-free as the signal from the head unit.
Well look what the cat dragged in haha. What up G?

That's nice but what's the S/N ratio of your Head Unit, I would wager a small bet that it is much less than 107db..A high S/N ratio is good but the signal from the amplifier is only as clean and noise-free as the signal from the head unit.

The head unit is a pretty nice one, at least I think so. It's an Eclipse CD8454 and according to the manual, S/N ratio (A-weighted) is 100db.

And then you have to ask yourself, "Are the testing standards the same across the board for signal to noise ratios?" The answer: probably not.
I actually called Arc Audio about their 107 db S/N rating and they said something along the lines of them doing three types of tests and their final number is weighted from those tests. So, I feel confident that their KS 900.6 is going to be a very quiet amp. And, with the Eclipse head unit I will be using (100 db S/N ratio), I feel my system will be pretty damned quiet when I finally get it all installed.

I'm not saying that it's going to have noise, I'm saying that it's a bogus spec. It's like comparing a Samsung to a Sharp based on contrast ratio. It means absolutely nothing since there isn't an industry standard for it. Both TVs could look great (I wouldn't know as I'm colorblind), but the ratings are completely different. Same thing with the amps. Both could sound incredible with very little induced noise, while the ratings are very different. There is no industry standard for testing to get that spec. You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Uh, RF amps are pretty **** good. I'd consider them above those AB mini amps.
Hmm, i originally was thinking i wanted to run rockford.. they always have output more than advertised rms. But then considered, that i could be paying for brand name.. Thats why i came here and asked for advise.

yeah with AB amps, go with legit VFL amps not the hybrids.
The vfl 4480 isnt legit? in whats ways do you mean? i wouldve pony'ed up the extra $80 or so to get the 100.1

Hmm, i originally was thinking i wanted to run rockford.. they always have output more than advertised rms. But then considered, that i could be paying for brand name.. Thats why i came here and asked for advise.

The vfl 4480 isnt legit? in whats ways do you mean? i wouldve pony'ed up the extra $80 or so to get the 100.1
Not that its not legit, just the actual vfl lines are that much better in terms of quality.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.