trouble with sub

rpeterson57
10+ year member

Ok finnaly all my stuff came, jbl 1200.1 amp

audiobahn alum12x,

i made the box to specs and all

today i decided to test it out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

hooked amp up to power rca ect, turned gain all the way down, turned HU on got nothing from sub,

so i turned the gain up till i could hear any thing about 1/4 way, and all i got was harsh noise and no real exscurtion, just sounded like the cone wasnt attached to the (spyder or what ever its attached to) the noise/sound came from behind the cone

so give me some ideas here

it was wired in parrallel, and then i tried series and still same problem

so when i turned the gain up it was just distortion

so is it power supply, rca or what is my sub blown or what

the rms for the sub is 1000

and im putting 900 at 3 ohm?

HELP:mad:

Well what i would do before returning the sub, is try another speaker/sub just take it easy if its a small speaker. You have the Rear/ or subwoofer RCA's connected to the amp, you dont want the front or if you only have 1 pair dont worry about it. What LED's are lit on the amp? Are the wires double/ triple checked. If you now push in the middle of the speaker is it rough? or is it nice and smooth? You got the Dual 6 Ohm im guessing to get the 3 ohm load? You dont have a 3 ohm with each voice coil hooked up to both sets of Speaker terminals on the amp???? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif You cant run each voice coil off of the terminals. Connect both positives together to the positive output and the same with the negative. Depending on what your VC's are will determine the load on the amp. Other than that, I have no clue what it could be, did you try different speaker wire? Im pullin at strings here. Good luck, i hope i hit on something for you to check. Take it easy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

right now i have the amp conected to all 4 rca's

my HU does have a sub out but its mono chanel where should i hook it to the Amp?

just the green light is lit on the map

i have double checked wires and redone it twice

i also tryd running it at 12 ohm, and still same problem

and im runnign the amp (+) to once coild and then (-) to the other

i then take negative from second coil and take it to first

then first coil (+) to second (+)

im using monster cable speaker wire for now its i think 12 guage or 14

ill try pushing it in today, is that with it on or off?

check the sub with it OFF. I would say run it in Parrallel meaning first VC + to second VC + to the amp +. The same with the negative. How many Ohms are your VC's???

i tryd pushing it in and in them middle it wont budge for **** not even like a centimeter

the outer part of the cone near the sorround moves though

so run both (+) and (-) to one VC and then (+) and (-) to the second?

they are dual 6 ohm vc

so it is a 3 ohm load

also if i have a 1 channel rca comind out from my HU where would i plug that into the amp just in the left channel for front?

the amp has 2 sets of RCA inputs one front one back

thanks so much for the help

so on the HU you just have a Subwoofer output. What you can do to run it into the amp in both Left and Right Channels is by like a spliter that will have 1 female and on the other end have 2 males. This way you can run both channels. It is really for a mono block amp, but spliting it will give the signal to both. well i belive you could have a defective sub, would you be able to return it? I dont know if its somehow some way how you connected it, or if it came that way? I dont know about the store or shop you bought it from on how they handle returns. I know when i blew my MTX 6000 the shop had no problems, just questions on the install, and if you give them all the info and what happend with the sub they shouldnt give you a hard time, unless they dont do exchanges etc... Running both of the VC's in parrallel will = a 3 ohm load, and the JBL should handle that fine, alittle high but that should be ok. All +'s together to the + on the amp and the same with the negatives. You dont want that amp pushing a 12 ohm load... you do NOT want that. if you had another equal sub run in series would equal a 1.5 ohm load. Well i would take a trip down to the store and hand them the sub and say, I want you to make this thing work! when you take the sub outta the box try pushing on the dust cap again, and if no movement toast, probly a bad motor or the VC is melted. Good luck and let me know what the shop says. Take it easy

ok well this is what i did today to test it out

i hooked my apline 307 amp up to it probably one like 250 rmsx 1 at 3 ohm to the sub

i took the sub rca out and just ran it into the 1 channel on the amp

got some exscurstion but not much at all even with gain turned all teh way up, at least no distortion

so then i got my jbl map hooked that up, nothing at first reall then turn the gain up and got som sort of pop type noices?

any idea

u think the coil and cone are just reall tyte cus it brand new and that i just have to REALL break it in slowly?

if i take it to a shop, what should i ask them? just to test it and check it out?

well if braking it in is to send over 1000 watts to it and nothing happens but a pop, i dont think so. I would take it to the shop and yes have them test it. If they can get it to work, and after all you have gone through, *** Bless them. Have you tried a different sub off of the amp? I am at a loss, its easier to be there, than to try and diagnois something like this over a Message Board. I am tryin lol. But trying a different sub, ask a friend if you have to or even a home speaker, just make sure everything is turned all the way down, and all the way down on the volume on the HU. Take it easy man

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.