Trouble in the trunk

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright so heres the deal, I have a sundown X15 v2 on a DC2k at 1 ohm. Box specs out to just under 4.25cuft at 29hz with 60sqin of port area.

Problem im having is that there's very little actual bass whether it be felt or heard, so much so that my old JL13w3v3 on a garbage hifonics amp in a ****** prefab in my old hatchback was significantly louder to the ear but yet i can see the dash and steering wheel flexing the slightest bit, all my gauges start jumping around and i even get noticeable windshield flex on certain notes from certain songs but in the car the actual output is just disappointing if that makes any sense. Theres basically alot happening with very little audible output even up into the 30s and 40s and higher not just the lower end stuff.

So my question is, is my box garbage, am i lacking that much port area, should i try sealing it off or rebuild it or are front firing trunk builds really this much of a pain to work with or maybe all 4?

cheers and thanks in advance.

Hmm that is interesting. Box sounds about right. I'm wondering what you did diff to the previous system vs what you have now.

I would try sub positions in your trunk. Turn it around, face cone up, etc. Something's gotta give.

You sure the sub is wired correctly?

Alright so heres the deal, I have a sundown X15 v2 on a DC2k at 1 ohm. Box specs out to just under 4.25cuft at 29hz with 60sqin of port area.
Problem im having is that there's very little actual bass whether it be felt or heard, so much so that my old JL13w3v3 on a garbage hifonics amp in a ****** prefab in my old hatchback was significantly louder to the ear but yet i can see the dash and steering wheel flexing the slightest bit, all my gauges start jumping around and i even get noticeable windshield flex on certain notes from certain songs but in the car the actual output is just disappointing if that makes any sense. Theres basically alot happening with very little audible output even up into the 30s and 40s and higher not just the lower end stuff.

So my question is, is my box garbage, am i lacking that much port area, should i try sealing it off or rebuild it or are front firing trunk builds really this much of a pain to work with or maybe all 4?

cheers and thanks in advance.
if you are facing the sub and port inside the cabin without sealing EVERYTHING off from the trunk aka the rear seat opening, rear deck and wherever any holes might lead to the trunk, then you will get Sh*t for output.

If you dont plan on sealing, fire it to the trunk.

If you want to do it right, make a proper trunk wall and make sure not even a peep of air gets through to the trunk.

What you are doing is cancellation hell = zero bass.

Also a hatchback can get WAY louder than a trunk no matter how you look at it. a 12 in a trunk will equal to an 8" in a hatchback. Quality of gear can be easily outdone by vehicle acoustics and proper enclosure loading and orientation which are the basics of how to get loud.

Thanks for the input y'all. I went back through and everything is wired up proper and all seems to be in order everywhere else.

my next plan was to pull the box out and properly seal it all off and deaden the rest of the car I just figured I'd get some input from you guys beforehand in case there was some other outstanding flaw with the setup that could be fixed before sealing off. Ill probably jump on getting it sealed when it gets a bit warmer and drier out. Cheers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.