Transmission Lines

tline questions. So many of them. And for a good reason. A tline can work in multiple ways to create the response you are looking for and it involves much more than what will likely be explained in this thread. Around the internet, there are many papers and views on these designs and some are great, some are completely bias, and some are just plain incorrect. It seems that everyone needs to understand sound before getting into understanding designs, which is the right way to learn any of this. If you want to figure out a specific design type, you need to know all of the variables involved. And not even understanding how the thickness of material effects the response is saying to me that the definitions of sound are not yet understood here. You need to learn about absorption, rarefaction, refelction effects(all of them), resonances, nodes, propagation paths, time delays, db losses based on distance, phase, etc. many many other factors before understanding a design. So, though some of these answers are great information, a lot needs to be figured out not just by forum answers, but by school, trail and error, experimentation, experience, etc.

Im sorry, I had to mention this to you in hopes that if you are serious about figuring out a design, you know what to look for rather than getting random answers about certain aspects. Here is a hint..........do not rely on quarter wave theory all the time. There is a time a place for it, and is can be very inconsistent depending on the requested response needed. So much can be involved, and most of the answers will not be here. My recommendation is to get an education in acoustics rather than answers from others who only know certain answers. Because even if you find out a lot of those answers over time by asking questions, applying them will be inefficient without knowing all of the effects involved. It has taken me over 10 years to get where I am with acoustics and designing and I am still writing formulas or manipulating them to get more accuracy from them even today.

If the question about thickness of material is still a concern, then knowledge of sound is highly recommended before trying to figure how a design works.

I get the whole point of making the making the face of the encloser stronger but just making that stronger wont get you there. You want to calculate the quarter wave and match that by tuning your encloser to that frequency. The calculation is the distance from the encloser to the windshield in feet times 4 then divide by 1132 which is the speed of sound at see level. Then that will give your frequency you will want to tune your encloser to. That way the pressure in the cab and the encloser are the same. When you get to that point your sub-woofers will be able to withstand more power because it isn't working against itself. This all applies when building a walled system but im not entirely sure with anything else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.