Traits of a box

Participant count
  • Participant list

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
So environment aside, what are the traits of a box that make it sound how it does?

I know sealed is punchier and ported it looser, but other than that I dont know anything.

1) What does increasing/decreasing volume do to the sound of a sealed box?

2) What does increasing/decreasing volume do to the sound of a ported box?

3) What does increasing/decreasing port area do to the sound of a ported box?

4) Does depth vs height vs width change the sound at all? Or is it just to fit it in a certain space?

5) Do aero ported boxes sound different than slot/vent ported boxes?

6) With multiple subs, why would someone choose to share the volume or make separate chambers?

7) How does the placement of the sub on different planes (top, side, etc.) affect the sound?

8) Does tuning a ported box for lower Hz make it "kick" harder and higher Hz make it "rumble" more?

9) What's a 4th order box?

I'm thinking about designing and building my own box. Right now mine is built to Alpine's specs for my sub. But I want to see if I can get it to punch/kick more, rather than be sloppy and spl-like.

Thanks for any information!

i think the only good thing about sealed boxes is the smaller size. other than that i see no benefits compared to a well designed ported box.

i think the only good thing about sealed boxes is the smaller size. other than that i see no benefits compared to a well designed ported box.
Yeah. Most of my questions are regarding ported boxes. I just want to know how changing certain things affects the sound.

I hope this topic covers the nature vs. nurture aspect of a developing box. a properly build vented box will be punchy too, but also still have that low freq extension a sealed box can't do.

Yeah. Most of my questions are regarding ported boxes. I just want to know how changing certain things affects the sound.
Yeah? ubitch i was just pointing out that the only thing you thought you knew was a myth.

Yeah? ubitch i was just pointing out that the only thing you thought you knew was a myth.
I knew that well designed ported box could produce good punch. I was just saying that people dont need to tell me the difference between sealed and ported. I just want to know how different characteristic affect them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.