Tool stuck and I need help removing the head unit on my 1998 Lincoln Town Car with JBL system

kingoftoys

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 22, 2019
Spokane, Wa.
Very frustrating day. Purchased the correct tool from Walmart to remove the head unit. I followed the directions exactly and it will not come out. I stopped by a local car stereo store. I was told either the release was already broken before I got the car or I put the tool in wrong. If I want to pull the trim piece off the dash, it looks like I need to access two bolts hidden by the unit. What can I do? Just bought the car and having issues with no sound out of the two left speakers, so I was trying to pull the head to check out speaker continuity. Help!

kingoftoys

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 22, 2019
Spokane, Wa.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was lucky. The two hidden bolts I thought had to be taken out were not there. This dash has been apart before. Did get the dash apart with the deck attached. Unplugged the stereo and took it with the dash trim piece out of the car. I pushed the stereo removal tools in too far. What a problem getting them out. What I learned was not to push in the tool too far. I have the stereo out now and can move forward with a diagnosis. What really helps is I know the part number for the stereo and I did order a used unit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds