Too high pre-outs shutting down amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

klepto
10+ year member

Perveyor of Filth
A loooong time ago I installed a 880PRS in my car and had it running to a Massive Audio P1000.1 which was driving a 12''MAG. Upon istallation, whenever I turned up the power on my amp, it clicked and shut off. Upon installing a different HU, the amp worked fine. Could the 5v pre-outs of the 880 be too much for the amp, thus causing it to shut down?

Ive been through several cars since then and the equiptment has just been sitting in my room. Just got a new ride and planning on installing all of the equiptment again, but looking to possible sell the 880 and get a touchscreen that will work with my amp.

Any comments appreciated.

Could be high enough that you are clipping the inputs... There for clipping the outputs putting the amplifier into protect.

Just a guess.

Because a headunit will output 5 volts doesn't mean it will only output 5 volts. It means it will output 5 volts max. It will do everything in between 5 and 0, including the range of a lower voltage out headunit. You just have to run less gain at the preamplifier input of the amplifier is all a higher voltage headunit does.

Can you explain that a little more for me please?
Ok...

Lets say that the driver circuits for the amplifier need 40 volts to output the desired wattage.

1 volt in has to be multiplied by 40 to get 40 volts. THe multiplier is controlled by the gain knob on the amplifier.

8 volts has to be multiplied by 5 to get 40 volts. So the knob would have to be lower.

If the multiplier was set the same (gain was set the same) you would have 320 volts on an unlimited system. However lets say the system is limited at 60 volts. You are going to have hard clipping, causing the amplifier to shut down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.