To upgrade or not to upgrade!?

maximamike2539
10+ year member

Texas
Hi guys,

I am trying to change it up in my van's setup but I have a few questions on how to move forward.

My current setup in honda odyssey is Audio control DQ61 with the factory head unit. I have an old Pioneer 4 channel(50.4 RMS) with some Incriminator audio 6.5 components in front with the image dynamics 6.5 in the rear. I plan on upgrading my 4 channel to a 100.4 pretty soon.

What I really need help with is my subwoofer setup. I currently have a kicker zx750.1 powering my sundown sa-10 in a pre fab box which I dont even know whats its tuned to or the internal volume. I'm guessing around 1.25 cubic feet.

My problem is it seems to be lacking on some of the bass notes which leads me to want to change it up and get something new in a properly built box and maybe a 1000-1200 watt rms amp. I am a little limited on space because my son has a wheel chair that takes up a good amount of room in the rear of the van. I was thinking and leaning towards 2 8 inch woofers maybe soundqubed hds208.

My questions are as follows..

So is my problem the pre fab box? should I just shoot at building a proper box for the sa-10 and keep the same amp on it?

Or should I sale the sa-10 and 750.1 and go with 2 8's with a little more power to them? What are you guys thoughts and input on this.

Any reccomendations and input welcome!

can't fit 1 12? some say those hds don't play deep so u would probably be losing more that way.. if u can get another 12 takes pretty small box and make it yourself be good., u can upgrade amp later..

Don't listen to Cramps....a 12 requires more airspace....and your wanting to save space.

That single 10 on that power should sound good. I'm betting the prefab enclosure is the issue. You might need a custom one built. The issue with those prefabs is they are tuned pretty high...38Hz-45Hz. It's not really good for low notes. Something tuned to 33-35Hz should sound a lot better.

Well I have a big 2014 Toyota Sienna minivan and I can tell you that compared to my CX5, a large van just doesn’t have the cabin gain and eats up the bass. If you want deeper bass than going with smaller subs, even two, may not be the best idea for a minivan. I have a single Alpine 10” SWS in my minivan right now in a custom built ported box tuned to 35 hz or to Alpine specifications and it sounds very nice. The box is just a hair over 1 cu ft so it’s not too big and I only have a 400 watt RMS amplifier pushing it. I also own a JL Audio 8” W3V3 in a ported box by JL and the 10” Alpine hits lower and is louder than the JL although the JL does hold its own and sounds nice for a low powered sub on 220 watts RMS.

I think Boomin tahoe is right and it may be that box. Can you build or acquire a custom built ported box built to the specifications of that 10?

Thanks for everyone's input on this. So I'm thinking as well that it's probably the box. I just had two enclosures built for my versa for e10s at 1.0 cubic ft at 35hz. And I think I need to lower the power in my versa due to headlights dimming. So I'm thinking to switch the sa 10 into one of those boxes and running a single sub in my odyssey and my versa.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. So I'm thinking as well that it's probably the box. I just had two enclosures built for my versa for e10s at 1.0 cubic ft at 35hz. And I think I need to lower the power in my versa due to headlights dimming. So I'm thinking to switch the sa 10 into one of those boxes and running a single sub in my odyssey and my versa.

Make sure the box will have enough port area for the power you are gonna running.

Hi guys, I am trying to change it up in my van's setup but I have a few questions on how to move forward.

My current setup in honda odyssey is Audio control DQ61 with the factory head unit. I have an old Pioneer 4 channel(50.4 RMS) with some Incriminator audio 6.5 components in front with the image dynamics 6.5 in the rear. I plan on upgrading my 4 channel to a 100.4 pretty soon.

What I really need help with is my subwoofer setup. I currently have a kicker zx750.1 powering my sundown sa-10 in a pre fab box which I dont even know whats its tuned to or the internal volume. I'm guessing around 1.25 cubic feet.

My problem is it seems to be lacking on some of the bass notes which leads me to want to change it up and get something new in a properly built box and maybe a 1000-1200 watt rms amp. I am a little limited on space because my son has a wheel chair that takes up a good amount of room in the rear of the van. I was thinking and leaning towards 2 8 inch woofers maybe soundqubed hds208.

My questions are as follows..

So is my problem the pre fab box? should I just shoot at building a proper box for the sa-10 and keep the same amp on it?

Or should I sale the sa-10 and 750.1 and go with 2 8's with a little more power to them? What are you guys thoughts and input on this.

Any reccomendations and input welcome!
What song and what specific parts of the song are your subs not hitting.

What song and what specific parts of the song are your subs not hitting.
I don't know any specific songs off the top but I'm really thinking it's the box. I'm gonna do some testing and see how it sounds in the 1 ft cubed box and go from there.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Went to UTSA. Sounds like you have a solution. Was going to offer to build a box if you needed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much would you charge me to make a box?

Your lights are dimming because your electrical is suffering. Your def gonna want to upgrade it. New battery, charging wires, and possibly HO alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.