To High Pass Filter or Not

ctGONZOles

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hi, I currently have a four speaker with two sub setup. I’ve always liked the sound of a little thump in my speakers in addition to my subs. Is it more common to use a high pass filter and direct most of the bass only to subs or do you guys like to push your other speakers in a full range with some bass? Thanks.

Your high pass filter is usually used to protect your smaller speakers from playing too low. If they play too low, they can reach their mechanical limits, causing them to fail eventually.
That being said, if you like the sound of your setup, and you don't think you're damaging your speakers, play it however you feel sounds best. Play with it a little, you might find a sweet spot you like even better.
Normally, not always, but normally, the subwoofers will play up to 80 hz, then your mids will play from 80 hz to say 3000-4000 hz, then your tweeters would take over for the rest. But like I said, if you like your door speakers to play below 80 hz, overlapping what your subs are playing, it really only matters to you bud. If you like it, slap it

Hi, I currently have a four speaker with two sub setup. I’ve always liked the sound of a little thump in my speakers in addition to my subs. Is it more common to use a high pass filter and direct most of the bass only to subs or do you guys like to push your other speakers in a full range with some bass? Thanks.
I like prefer to high pass at 80Hz. Some DJs get crazy with the remixes and crank the bass to obnoxious levels to where the fulls bottom out. Even at 80Hz I sometimes hear that dreaded sound. My subs I set to 90-100Hz for good overlap. I sometimes try going higher just for shits and giggles, but depending on the sub, I get an echo-ey sound like that of the icecream truck loudspeakers.

I like prefer to high pass at 80Hz. Some DJs get crazy with the remixes and crank the bass to obnoxious levels to where the fulls bottom out. Even at 80Hz I sometimes hear that dreaded sound. My subs I set to 90-100Hz for good overlap. I sometimes try going higher just for shits and giggles, but depending on the sub, I get an echo-ey sound like that of the icecream truck loudspeakers of electric tankless water heaters.
V
I like prefer to high pass at 80Hz. Some DJs get crazy with the remixes and crank the bass to obnoxious levels to where the fulls bottom out. Even at 80Hz I sometimes hear that dreaded sound. My subs I set to 90-100Hz for good overlap. I sometimes try going higher just for shits and giggles, but depending on the sub, I get an echo-ey sound like that of the icecream truck loudspeakers.

Last edited:
what id do...

unhook your sub, set your high pass real high, play some Bass Mekanik real loud, start lowering the xover point until its too low. and then blend in sub

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...