Tips on removing dustcaps?

Ronny
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey all, I'm trying to replace a charred tinsel lead on my Mach 5 SPL-12 and am having trouble removing the dustcap in order to solder the new lead onto the coil.

Any tips out there to do so? I'm attempting to use a hair-dryer to heat up the glue and meticulously cut the glue with an X-acto blade but it is not working too well.

Thanks,

Ron

Hey all, I'm trying to replace a charred tinsel lead on my Mach 5 SPL-12 and am having trouble removing the dustcap in order to solder the new lead onto the coil.Any tips out there to do so? I'm attempting to use a hair-dryer to heat up the glue and meticulously cut the glue with an X-acto blade but it is not working too well.

Thanks,

Ron
you must not be trying hard enough with that x-acto knife. Just get it under the cap. Once it's under it, rotate it around the edge of the cap bot not with the leading edge of the blade. Use the dull side.

Hey all, I'm trying to replace a charred tinsel lead on my Mach 5 SPL-12 and am having trouble removing the dustcap in order to solder the new lead onto the coil.Any tips out there to do so? I'm attempting to use a hair-dryer to heat up the glue and meticulously cut the glue with an X-acto blade but it is not working too well.

Thanks,

Ron
nude pics of the girl that owns that or gtfo

If they use CA glue on your cap you might have luck softening it up with some acetone (works good vs. CA glue). I've had them come off in 1 piece sometimes and sometimes seems you just have to get ugly with them. Dustcaps are pretty cheap though so even if you have to scrap it shouldn't break the bank for you.

If they use CA glue on your cap you might have luck softening it up with some acetone (works good vs. CA glue). I've had them come off in 1 piece sometimes and sometimes seems you just have to get ugly with them. Dustcaps are pretty cheap though so even if you have to scrap it shouldn't break the bank for you.
Yeah I believe CA might have been used.

Even using a brand new blade barely gets anything more than a blade length because I have to stab it in there. The dull side.. All bets are off.

I have a bunch of CA debonder and acetone laying around, I think I'll try to soften it up. and report back.

The cheap ass 3 dollar a bottle debonder you get at Hobby Lobby is the best stuff ive used, hell I got to where I could break down an 18" from surround to spiders without breaking a single thing getting it off. I even did it 4 times in a row just to see if I could do it again. No sweat, other than it probably severely cancer causing **** being absorbed into your skin. But **** it, i've already had cancer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.