This is a horn.

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
folded%20horn%20sub.gif

Please take note and everybody stop ******* calling a bass reflex box with a flared port a horn.

This is all.

Ok, I have to ask. What sort of formula do you use to tune that? It looks like its a continuous slope (angle) that's twisted in on itself?

Well not quite. The final angle seems more obtuse than the first. But the first two look similar if not equal.

Ok, I have to ask. What sort of formula do you use to tune that? It looks like its a continuous slope (angle) that's twisted in on itself?
Well not quite. The final angle seems more obtuse than the first. But the first two look similar if not equal.
AFAIK the flare is not supposed to be a straight taper but flared like a trumpet. Very gradually for most of it then flaring dramatically at the end. Many of the DIY applications are these tapered horns which aren't even a true horn with a smooth flare, but they replicate it close enough for simplicity of build. The actual angle isn't important and just however you can fit the horn in the space allowed (for folded type horns). What's important AFAIK is the rate of expansion towards the mouth.

The math behind this is beyond me, but I know for large woofers and low tuning size is generally impractical for the car. Search some home and pro-audio forums to find the real experts who have built true horn loaded subwoofers. Horns are insanely efficient (ever sit in a Brazilian's car with 2" horn type mids and tweets?)...picture that scaled up.

The key features of a true horn are a driver in a very small sealed space firing into an extremely narrow throat which tapers out to a very wide mouth.

for lots of good info on horns and a very helpful core group i'd hit up the DIY section on avsforum.com . Just don't mention you're into car audio and it's all good, for some reason a couple of the members get their ******* in a wad when you tell them that the listening space is a vehicle instead of a living room. I don't fully understand why, but whatever, lots of great info there.

for lots of good info on horns and a very helpful core group i'd hit up the DIY section on avsforum.com . Just don't mention you're into car audio and it's all good, for some reason a couple of the members get their ******* in a wad when you tell them that the listening space is a vehicle instead of a living room. I don't fully understand why, but whatever, lots of great info there.
They're jelly they need to spend 1000's to get 120db @20hz

Most of them are past that stage in their life - i.e., grown up.

Vehicles provide such a boost in the low end anyway, that a very high efficiency enclosure just isn't as important as it is in a room.

Most of them are past that stage in their life - i.e., grown up.
Vehicles provide such a boost in the low end anyway, that a very high efficiency enclosure just isn't as important as it is in a room.
Especially considering how cheap power it these days for vehicles it's not a big deal if something isn't efficient.

I love this post. Well said and well presented. I'm often amazed by how much you dictated each information that we really needed. Nice one, thanks for sharing this to us.I love this forum.

lol, there's a guy over there who has EIGHT 18" LMS drivers in sealed enclosures powered by I think 20,000 watts.....i mean to us, that sounds measly, but it's probably the beastliest HT setup i've ever seen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hispls

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
hispls
Central Maine
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date