This Double Din has Gotta Go X5500BHS with horrible washout from the sun. Need new HU

Almost all of the parrot asteroids I have installed have had problems. Parrot may have sorted them out but go to crutchfield and look at the reviews for the single din and you will see what I mean.
Yeah, that's the single din. I'm not going to judge their DD based on reviews of the single. The DD has its own reviews.

Having the dimmer on is almost a necessity for night-time driving so you don't have the blaring bright screen in your face. However it will dim whenever you have your lights on. That's the problem. These units are rather bright when they are not self dimming. You can manually control the dimmer if you want to drive with your lights on.

I have verified that having my DRL's on does not affect the HU. Only having the headlights on does.

I'm also starting to wonder if the unit is susceptible to the high temperatures that interior see's while parked outside. I remember the screen was hot when I first got in the car yesterday.

Have you owned it or even seen it in person?
Yes I've installed 5 so far which all five have come back with some kind of software glitch I've had people having problems connecting to them, not pulling address books, connection fails, freezes I always seem to be putting in a avh-4500 or the radio he has here in its place. The shop has one left in stock an the owner won't order anymore

Have you owned it or even seen it in person?
I haven't "owned" one, but I did get to play with one. Mu buddy had one in his 300 for 2 weeks before he got rid of it, lol. We messed with it, and the fetures it was are good but overall nothing I would own personally.

What's sad for me is I don't mind spending a big chunk of change on an HU if its worth the money. I'd drop $1000 on an Android HU if it was top notch. As of right now, I'm not seeing anything that's worth it. If it weren't for the washout on my X5500, I'd say it was a 8 out of 10. It's laggy when using my 8GB nano which is kind of annoying. But due to the washout, I can't give it better than a 6 out of 10.

So now I've ordered a Sony MEX-GS600BT to hold me over until something better comes out.

you mentioned anti-glare film, have you tried it? High heat does affect LCD's, I've had fish finders and gps units almost completely wash out in 100+ temps.
The high heat is probably what my problem was. I do plan on getting tint, but not on the front window so I'll have a sunshade up while I'm parked at work.

Alright, I'm going to give Pioneer another shot due to some tests I did this weekend. I used my 18v LED flashlight to simulate the sun shinning on the screen. I tested out a kenwood DDX470 and it appeared to be slightly more visible, but still not great. There are no other brands I'd want to try.

I also tried out the Sony single din HU and its not going to work for me. I'm spoiled and can't go back to a single din. Using the phone and going through ipod and usb are just FAR TOO difficult with a single din.

That said, I'm still getting rid of my x5500. I'll be replacing it with an x8500 for a couple non-related reasons. One related reason is the removable screen. Perhaps I can place it somewhere cool in the car while the car is parked. I'll also be buying one of the double din covers to act as a theft deterrent, but I also plan on lining the inside with some insulation to help keep the radio face cool (instead of taking the face off).

I also bought a Parrot Asteroid, but I'm not even going to open the box because I know I'll be frustrated with it. Part of the reason I bought the X8500 is that I'll give ARL another shot and if it doesn't work out I still have everything else I need in a nice HU (versus the bare bones SPH-DA100). Its $140 premium over the X5500 which I can handle. I'm sure I'll find something to do with that HDMI input. I'm thinking ARL didn't work good because of my phone. Once I get a Samsung, I'll probably be good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.