This cannot be good! Fried my amp. (Gut pics inside)

Over-fused again.... you're a slow learner.
Dunno much about PPI these days, but I haven't heard any horror stories about those so probably a step up.
I searched on google for about an hour plus just to verify what size fuse i need to run inline to my amplifier, that includes on this forum, and there were multiple

threads on this situation. Every single person said to fuse to whatever size wire you have running to your amplifier. besides, isn't that why amplifiers have fuses on them?

newer ppi is soundstream. i havent had any issues with the rubi amps, the 1600.1 get pretty hot @.5 daily. the 2500 stays just warm, no complaints...

never mount to a box unless the box is really strong and mounted to the car...

newer ppi is soundstream. i havent had any issues with the rubi amps, the 1600.1 get pretty hot @.5 daily. the 2500 stays just warm, no complaints...
never mount to a box unless the box is really strong and mounted to the car...
My box is not that strong, I did not doubled it up or have any kind of bracing besides having 45's in all the corners, and i'm pretty sure just 45's won't do a whole lot of good as far as bracing. I was extremely paranoid about mounting it on the bacc side of the enclosure... This is what Spooney said about the Rubicons "This style of amp was notorious for vibration related failures and mounting the amp on the sub box doesn't help matters any. I would make all efforts to mount my amp securely somewhere else next time around. The inductors in these amps had a lot of issues with shorting out on themselves due to vibration." When i get my new amp on thursday I will probably just build an amp racc for it.

I searched on google for about an hour plus just to verify what size fuse i need to run inline to my amplifier, that includes on this forum, and there were multiple threads on this situation. Every single person said to fuse to whatever size wire you have running to your amplifier. besides, isn't that why amplifiers have fuses on them?
Fuse wire for wire size for sure. Many amp manufacturers have discovered that various forum smarty pants' figured out Ohm's law well enough to know they lie about power ratings by looking at on-board fuses... so they over-fuse.

It's a shame if PPI is now Soundstream/Power Accoustic. Good luck with that.

Fuse wire for wire size for sure. Many amp manufacturers have discovered that various forum smarty pants' figured out Ohm's law well enough to know they lie about power ratings by looking at on-board fuses... so they over-fuse.
It's a shame if PPI is now Soundstream/Power Accoustic. Good luck with that.
Oh ok thanks for the info bro. I appreciate you being straight up with me and letting me know some real facts, I'm not afraid to admit that I was wrong about the over-fusing. I was just a little confused for a minute there lol What would you suggest I go about this situation? I looked all over for reviews on the ppi phantom and only found like 3, all were 5 star reviews though. So i am really curious as to how it will perform. I'll write up a review when i receive it and get a little play time, I know a couple ppl who would like to know if it is worth their time and money as well.

If you are looking for a half way descent "Budget amp" - I've heard good things about Lanzar Opti's - NOT The Newer 2001 / 3001 / 5001 series, but the slightly older 2000 / 3000 / 5000 Series which if you look around, can still be had new or refurb with a warranty for dirt cheap - You can get a Lanzar Opti2000D That's rated at:

700 rms @ 4 ohm / 1100 rms @ 2 ohm / 1600 rms @ 1.3 ohm / 2000 rms @ .5 ohm - For $239.95 Shipped - I bet that would beat the tar out of an SA Wired down to 1 ohm ;-) Other than that I'd look for a nice Used DD, Sundown, Audiodique, Or Crescendo For what you are looking to do... I like to run Orion HCCA's, but that's just my preference, there are better amps out there, but Every Orion I have had over the years has been nothing but good to me :)

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with that PPI amp you just picked up. It'll do 1200 watts at 1 ohm. That same circuit board is being used by several popular manufacturers currently...NVX, Nakamichi, Polk, etc.

Read the manual PPI sends with it and fuse exactly as they recommend. Double check your ground and do NOT mount an amp on your sub box ever again.

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with that PPI amp you just picked up. It'll do 1200 watts at 1 ohm. That same circuit board is being used by several popular manufacturers currently...NVX, Nakamichi, Polk, etc.

Read the manual PPI sends with it and fuse exactly as they recommend. Double check your ground and do NOT mount an amp on your sub box ever again.

If you are looking for a half way descent "Budget amp" - I've heard good things about Lanzar Opti's - NOT The Newer 2001 / 3001 / 5001 series, but the slightly older 2000 / 3000 / 5000 Series which if you look around, can still be had new or refurb with a warranty for dirt cheap - You can get a Lanzar Opti2000D That's rated at: 700 rms @ 4 ohm / 1100 rms @ 2 ohm / 1600 rms @ 1.3 ohm / 2000 rms @ .5 ohm - For $239.95 Shipped - I bet that would beat the tar out of an SA Wired down to 1 ohm ;-) Other than that I'd look for a nice Used DD, Sundown, Audiodique, Or Crescendo For what you are looking to do... I like to run Orion HCCA's, but that's just my preference, there are better amps out there, but Every Orion I have had over the years has been nothing but good to me :)
Dammit, wish i heard that earlier before I purchased the ppi. Ohwell if i dont like it i'm pretty sure i can send it bacc to sonicelectronix for a refund.

besides that was slightly out of my budget at the time and i need a new amp asap

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with that PPI amp you just picked up. It'll do 1200 watts at 1 ohm. That same circuit board is being used by several popular manufacturers currently...NVX, Nakamichi, Polk, etc.Read the manual PPI sends with it and fuse exactly as they recommend. Double check your ground and do NOT mount an amp on your sub box ever again.
Yup had to learn that the hard way unfortunately... **** happens. Well that is reassuring, I need a smaller amp i could mount under the seat or somewhere else other than the box. That will never haapen again!

Dammit, wish i heard that earlier before I purchased the ppi. Ohwell if i dont like it i'm pretty sure i can send it bacc to sonicelectronix for a refund. besides that was slightly out of my budget at the time and i need a new amp asap
Just giving you a heads up ;-) I've installed a few of these over the past 2 years or so, All of them are still up and running, or else I would have gotten an earful about it I'm sure lol - GL with your system :)

Just giving you a heads up ;-) I've installed a few of these over the past 2 years or so, All of them are still up and running, or else I would have gotten an earful about it I'm sure lol - GL with your system :)
Ya for sure lol Thanks bro, i appreciate it! =] The ppi will just be temporary for now unless I end up liking it alot. I'll be sure and checc one of those out, doesn't sound to bad for the price.

Oh ok thanks for the info bro. I appreciate you being straight up with me and letting me know some real facts, I'm not afraid to admit that I was wrong about the over-fusing. I was just a little confused for a minute there lol What would you suggest I go about this situation? I looked all over for reviews on the ppi phantom and only found like 3, all were 5 star reviews though. So i am really curious as to how it will perform. I'll write up a review when i receive it and get a little play time, I know a couple ppl who would like to know if it is worth their time and money as well.
"reviews" on retail sites are typically by people who have no idea what a good product is. Search forums for more reliable reviews.

If you are looking for a half way descent "Budget amp" - I've heard good things about Lanzar Opti's - NOT The Newer 2001 / 3001 / 5001 series, but the slightly older 2000 / 3000 / 5000 Series which if you look around, can still be had new or refurb with a warranty for dirt cheap - You can get a Lanzar Opti2000D That's rated at: 700 rms @ 4 ohm / 1100 rms @ 2 ohm / 1600 rms @ 1.3 ohm / 2000 rms @ .5 ohm - For $239.95 Shipped - I bet that would beat the tar out of an SA Wired down to 1 ohm ;-) Other than that I'd look for a nice Used DD, Sundown, Audiodique, Or Crescendo For what you are looking to do... I like to run Orion HCCA's, but that's just my preference, there are better amps out there, but Every Orion I have had over the years has been nothing but good to me :)
Definitely this^^^

Yup had to learn that the hard way unfortunately... **** happens. Well that is reassuring, I need a smaller amp i could mount under the seat or somewhere else other than the box. That will never haapen again!
If size is an issue you should look at Stetsom. I don't know what they have for that little power, but I've run the 7K and 4K2d and had good luck with both.

Go over to the Zed Audio site and download his manual. 80% of it is just general info on electronics and amps and is well worth a read. He has a very good philosophy on fusing. You would be amazed at how little fusing you actually need 99% of the time for normal music.

IDK what your problem ended up being, but it really looks like you are just in a big hurry and cutting any corner you can. This isnt really related to your thread, but take your time brother.

"reviews" on retail sites are typically by people who have no idea what a good product is. Search forums for more reliable reviews.

Definitely this^^^

If size is an issue you should look at Stetsom. I don't know what they have for that little power, but I've run the 7K and 4K2d and had good luck with both.

Go over to the Zed Audio site and download his manual. 80% of it is just general info on electronics and amps and is well worth a read. He has a very good philosophy on fusing. You would be amazed at how little fusing you actually need 99% of the time for normal music.
Ok sweet i'll definitely checc out his manual. I Could really use the knowledge and learn a bit more about car audio/ electricity

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.