This cannot be good! Fried my amp. (Gut pics inside)

l Droopy
10+ year member

I recently ordered a Soundstream Rub1.1600D from OnlineCarStereo, upon install it is an amazing amplifier! it is the best amp i have owned so far. Just yesterday i was playing a few tracks and i got out of my car and all of the sudden the bass just cut out. I got in my car and heard this weird noise from my subwoofer, i got out, opened my trunk and my sub was making a weird noise, so i turned my car off for a couple minutes and turned it back on. Still no bass. so i went and checked the amplifier and it was in protection mode, a couple seconds passed and poof, all this smoke came out from the amplifier. i know it was not my subwoofer that blew because later i pulled it out of the box and everything was fine. Anyways as soon as smoke filled my car i freaked out and turned my car off immediately and disconnected the negative battery terminal and pulled the amplifier out of my car. I am not sure as to why this happened, but i set my gains with a DMM with a 50hz test tone at vol. 36 and i listen to it on 34-35 just before it starts to clip. I dont know as to why this happened, but i just got it a couple weeks ago and i have not been pushing it that hard at all. Is there any way i can send it in to get it repaired or a replacement amplifier? I would really appreciate a response as soon as possible! Thanks!

2013-03-28_02-28-06_476_zps9fb5b439.jpg

2013-03-28_02-27-36_248_zps6bbc27a0.jpg

2013-03-28_02-27-20_351_zpsce437e30.jpg

2013-03-28_02-26-27_214_zps6619932c.jpg

2013-03-28_02-25-43_122_zps381990de.jpg

2013-03-28_02-25-02_112_zps4e323905.jpg

2013-03-28_02-24-03_315_zpsf19cc2ab.jpg

There's a reason these amps are so cheap. Hope you bought from a shop that honors warranty.
Odds are you're over-fused as well.
Sounds like a awesome amp lol.

lol yea it was. Slammed pretty hard on my Sundown sa-12. I recently sold my old Kenwood excelon x1200m because it was not stable down to 1 ohm, and i figured it was time for an upgrade since ive had it for quite a few years. I also replaced my old power wire with 4 gauge Kolossus Flex Kable and purchased a new inline fuse, fused to i think 150 amps or 160 amps. shouldnt have been over fused since the Rubi has 4 x 40 amp fuses and that would come out to 160 amps. Idk... i did leave out the fact that i mounted the amp to the bacc of my box without any rubber boots/washers. i was kind of paranoid about it, but i didnt have anywhere else to mount it at the time =/ Im not 100% sure about this, but i ordered from OnlineCarStereo and a 2 year warranty came with the amplifier from soundstream. i am hoping the can replace it or repair it.

Vibration could of killed it.
That is kind of what i assumed... For example when the bass hits a high freq i can hear it in the amp rattling. I looked up on google to see what other ppls opinion is about mounting it on the bacc of the box, it was kind of 50/50 so i decided to do it anyways. I was going to mount it in the trunk since i have a piece of MDF cut out to fit across my trunk. but of course i didnt order enough power cable to reach all the way to my trunk lid

Never mount to the box.
Guess i just had to find out the hard way... lesson learned. Im really depressed that happened. My Damplifier pro is supposed to show up today, along with a new inline fuse holder and my battery terminal to finish my big 3 upgrade. Only have the grounds done right now. Getting off topic lol do you think i will still be able to send it in to soundstream and get it fixed or swapped out for a new amp?

I have always mounted to the box abd have yet to have a problem... quality amps should not have an issure with this imo
I would rather be safe than sorry. Im never going to do that again. do you have rubber washers or wtf ever their called to absorb some of the vibrations? Maybe it was just poor craftsmanship on the box since i did it myself and i dont have any braces either, idk if 45's count or not, but that is the only thing i have in my box.

From pics it looks like it got wet shorted the ic bored that fried the fets
When i opened up my amp and checced it out i saw that wet soda looking liquid on some of it. Honestly idk how it could have, the sub is facing trunk lid and box is all the way bacc against the bacc seat and the amp was mounted on the bacc of it. Oh and by the way i took out the bacc seat to clean up my wires and ****, and just left em out of my car

Back window gasket. Check under your carpet for moisture.
Are you talking about the carpet on my enclosure? I never carpeted my box after i built it. So it could be that the bacc window seal has a leak? All of this happened after i washed my car. I was bumping it pretty hard when i was drying my side windows and put some suff on my wheels that makes it look wet. Think maybe when the bass hits it opens up a tiny cracc on the seal around my bacc window? I really want to diagnose the problem in order to prevent anything like this happening again in the near future.

Not to be a **** or anything but isn't listening to it at max unclipped volume pushing it hard..? Not sure what else would be pushing it hard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.