This cannot be good! Fried my amp. (Gut pics inside)

What about vibration on amps in general? Lots of pressure in my trunk and even with the amps mounted on the side walls, they've got to be shakin' a little. Here's the setup I'm running:
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/559208-volvo-s60-build-resurrected-old-school-8.html

Should I be concerned about vibration or is this more of an issue when the amps are mounted directly on the box? Aren't the better built amps designed to withstand the typical vibrations of a car audio system?
Dam bro that set up is fuccing CLEAN!!! looks so sicc! great job man keep up the good work

Just sent mine in for exchange. Bought from a local authorized dealer. They should have my fried one tomorrow and i will hopefully have a new one by next week.
I bought mine off of online car stereo so idk if i am able to exchange amps with them or soundstream direct

Dam bro that set up is fuccing CLEAN!!! looks so sicc! great job man keep up the good work
Thanks man, I'm really enjoying this setup. I'm still making small improvements such as tonight adding another layer of sound deadener to the trunk lid. It helped. Now there are two layers on there. Might go for a third. **** VIBRATIONS!

Thanks man, I'm really enjoying this setup. I'm still making small improvements such as tonight adding another layer of sound deadener to the trunk lid. It helped. Now there are two layers on there. Might go for a third. **** VIBRATIONS!
How much are you running in there? I bet that **** SLAMS! lol I dont see why not, the more the merrier... The Rubicon i have when it was still working absolutely slammed with my Sundown Sa-12. Rattles way to much, sounds ******... lol I actually just ordered Damplifier Pro and it showed up today, not like i am able to tell the difference now that my amp is completely fucced... =[

How much are you running in there? I bet that **** SLAMS![
It slams really good and most importantly I can listen to any kind of music on this system and enjoy it. This system tows the line between bass and SQ. These Zed Deuce amps were really the last of an era of the Stephen Mantz built cheater amps, as some folks call 'em. Class A/B design, they are way under rated and put out a sick amount of clean power. I've exchanged some emails with Stephen and he says these amps put out more power on his bench test than the original hi-fonics Zeuss, if that helps put it in to perspective. So rated, I'm giving 800 watts to the subs. In reality I could get 1000+ out of the amp into 4 ohms if I really push it and the power is really clean. Haven't seen these amps on ebay in a while but if you see one for a good price, snatch it up. You won't look back from the rubicon.

What are you running for subs?

Haven't seen these amps on ebay in a while but if you see one for a good price, snatch it up. You won't look back from the rubicon.
What are you running for subs?
I'll definitively make sure to snatch one up if i get the chance. I have never ran any of his amps yet, reason being they are quite spendy! lol I couldn't imagine going from what i have now to a Zed made amp. From what i have heard they are phenomenal amplifiers... Maybe one day in the near future. Right now i am only running a single Sundown Sa-12 D2 in a 2.25 CuFt box tuned to 32 hz. I was running it at 1 ohm on the Rubicon and it hit so dam hard! Along with the Second skin i placed an order on knukonceptz for a positive battery terminal and a inline fuse, was going to finish my big 3... As of right now i only have the grounds done.

If you guys are mounting your amps on the enclosures or side walls I would recommend vibrapods. They come in different sizes and work very well for shock/vibration absorption. Check them out here.
The Vibrapod Company

Even these would help out

Amico 10 Pcs 40mm x 22mm Furniture Cone Rubber Feet Pad Cove Bumper - Amazon.com
That is exactly what i was looking for before my amp took a dump on me lol i'll have to picc some of those up when i get my amp fixed, or if i buy a new one. Might just picc up an AQ1200D for $269.

I have always mounted to the box abd have yet to have a problem... quality amps should not have an issure with this imo
Really depends on how solid the box is. I've discussed this with Stephen Mantz (who by most people's reckoning makes good amps) and he suggested to avoid mounting to box if at all possible.

Pretty certain that amp is over fused at 160A

Pretty certain that amp is over fused at 160A
You're probably right bro, but I received the Rubicon with 4 x 40 amp fuses already in it and that adds up to 160 amps... i figured it would be safe to run a 150 amp fuse on the power wire so it wouldn't go over 160 amps. but i doubt that my alt could ever put that much out stocc in a 95 honda civic. Also wouldn't the fuse blow on the power wire if it went over 150 amps or at lease the fuses on the amp?

You're probably right bro, but I received the Rubicon with 4 x 40 amp fuses already in it and that adds up to 160 amps... i figured it would be safe to run a 150 amp fuse on the power wire so it wouldn't go over 160 amps. but i doubt that my alt could ever put that much out stocc in a 95 honda civic. Also wouldn't the fuse blow on the power wire if it went over 150 amps or at lease the fuses on the amp?
The BATTERY can push a lot of current, and fuses can pass well over their rating for long enough to cook an amp before opening. If you can't afford to blow up amps it's well worth under-fusing and only increasing fuse size gradually if you keep blowing fuses. Even a dozen fuses is probably cheaper than return postage you're going to eat sending that amp back.

The BATTERY can push a lot of current, and fuses can pass well over their rating for long enough to cook an amp before opening. If you can't afford to blow up amps it's well worth under-fusing and only increasing fuse size gradually if you keep blowing fuses. Even a dozen fuses is probably cheaper than return postage you're going to eat sending that amp back.
Ok thanks bro i appreciate the response! Learn something new every day. I hit up Spooney and sent him the pictures to see what he thought about it, and he said that "This style of amp was notorious for vibration related failures and mounting the amp on the sub box doesn't help matters any." Regardless I have enough money for another amp, whether it's on the classifieds or anywhere else. What amp would you recommend for a Sundown Sa-12?

Ok thanks bro i appreciate the response! Learn something new every day. I hit up Spooney and sent him the pictures to see what he thought about it, and he said that "This style of amp was notorious for vibration related failures and mounting the amp on the sub box doesn't help matters any." Regardless I have enough money for another amp, whether it's on the classifieds or anywhere else. What amp would you recommend for a Sundown Sa-12?
Most of the more popular Korean amps should have a solid 1K offering. More mainstream, the JBL 1200.1 is solid and Kicker has made a few in the 1000-1200W category that are reliable. If you can find one used the ED Nine was really popular for a 1200W amp. If you have some money to spend and a 2 ohm load Zed Minotaur is great and quite advanced, and of course Zapco, Arc, Audison, and the other premium brands are typically good performers that'll hold resale value.

Most of the more popular Korean amps should have a solid 1K offering. More mainstream, the JBL 1200.1 is solid and Kicker has made a few in the 1000-1200W category that are reliable. If you can find one used the ED Nine was really popular for a 1200W amp. If you have some money to spend and a 2 ohm load Zed Minotaur is great and quite advanced, and of course Zapco, Arc, Audison, and the other premium brands are typically good performers that'll hold resale value.
Thank you for all of the feedbacc bro, i really appreciate it! I decided to purchase a PPI1000.1 Phantom off sonicelectronics just for a temporary amplifier, and it fit my budget at the time. Figured why not give it a chance since it's really underated for 1k at 1 ohm. Spooney pointed out that it is actually fused for about 1200 Rms.

Thank you for all of the feedbacc bro, i really appreciate it! I decided to purchase a PPI1000.1 Phantom off sonicelectronics just for a temporary amplifier, and it fit my budget at the time. Figured why not give it a chance since it's really underated for 1k at 1 ohm. Spooney pointed out that it is actually fused for about 1200 Rms.
Over-fused again.... you're a slow learner.

Dunno much about PPI these days, but I haven't heard any horror stories about those so probably a step up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.